Air filter conversion

Junkpile

The TJ needed to have it's air filter replaced and I wanted something with more flow. I decided to go with a setup that I used on my 2.5L YJ. I made the filter housing on that one though and used a rectangular factory filter, because it was right on top of the TB it tended to get dirty just in a little circular area right in the center of the filter. I figured I would try an oldschool round air cleaner this time, but I had fitment problems. This one fit perfectly.

image-missing.png

It's for a four barrel, so it has the 5.125" carb hole in it. I made a mount from a piece of 3" tubing and a donut shaped disc that adapted the tubing to the carb hole, then welded it to the bottom of the cleaner. It's got a rubber base and two set screws holding it on the TB
image-missing.png

It looks pretty good and sounds like I've got a demon trapped under the hood when the throttle is opened up. It's a foam element, so it can be washed with soap and water. It made a bigger difference on this engine than it did on the 2.5L. What do you think I should put in the space left from the factory airbox? Storage? Air tank?
image-missing.png

The air cleaner was $20.00 and I already had the other materials, so it was half the price of a K&N drop in filter.

Thats awesome! Start putting those puppies into production and make yourself a pretty penny!

definitely keep us updated on this... i'm curious to see how clean it stays and how much water it keeps out... looks like something i'd be interested in trying out

Snitty, I'm curious myself. I know it wouldn't be good to dunk it, but I think it will be fine with water splashing up on it. By the time any water gets through the foam, it will be in tiny little particles. Kind of like hillbilly water injection.....might help keep the TB and combustion chambers clean :lol: as long as it doesn't get too wet I think it will be fine.

I'll let you know if the engine locks up anytime soon.

I like it.

That's the same throttle body that I have on my '00 XJ???

Hmmm, where'd you get the air cleaner?

Hey, I've got that exact same air filter thing. Is that one made by Edelbrock?

It came on a truck I bought and I have never put it to use!! Does it allow a lot of air flow??

This one is made by Holley. I ran the Edelbrock version on a Camaro that I used to have. It let in enough air for it's built 355, so I figured it could handle the 4.0s flow needs. A friend of mine runs one on his .060-over solid roller-cam BB in his Camaro, and he hasn't complained. The foam element WILL melt if you have a backfire up through the carb.....

I got it at Advance Autoparts for $19.99 They have them at Autozone too.

I have the edelbrock version on my mustang, when I started it up after last winter it blew a hole right through that foam element!

Yeah, that's a problem with those filters. Age can cause the foam to start deteriorating. Also, a backfire through the carb will melt the element and then it can get sucked into the engine. Alot of people won't run them because of that, but it isn't a concern on an MPFI setup with a dry flow throttle body.......unless something is really wrong.

Re: gutless TJ

I ran one of the tri corner foam filters that looked like that on Tugly after the motorcraf 2150 went in. She saw som mud and never had a problem but I always washed it out fater each off road trip and added just a small amoount of motor oil and squeezed it into the element real good after cleaning. keep the watter out pretty good. tug

Here's a link to my picture page. Scroll down towards the bottom and there's some pics of the Caddy air compressors I mounted in there. Not very quick at airing up all 4 33"s, but get's the job done. Some day I'll bring myself to spend the $300 or so bones to get the Quick Air system, but until then (at 13 bucks a piece) these will work just fine.

http://jumppr.jeepz.com/photo.html

As for the extra space from the filter box, why not throw in a cooker box? Build a box about the same size out of aluminum sheet metal, and toss in a few brats and maybe some corn on the cob and cook lunch while you're wheelin'? I know a few farmers around here that have done that on their farm trucks.

Your gonna drown the engine with a good splash of mud. I drenched one similiar to that and almost sucked the foam down the engine. The water that got in cracked the head. Sorry but i wouldnt keep that on there.

Back