yj transfer case question

jasonvess

#4 sparkplug fouling

I am looking at buying another jeep it is:

1990 wrangler sahara hard top, hard doors, 4.2 liter, 5 speed (i think but could be an Automatic)
It already has a spring over conversion and a 2in body lift with 35" tsl swampers runs good and has a little rust

the problem is the transfer case is broke in 2 peices, the driveshaft broke a rear u-joint and hit the ground and broke the rear part of the t-case off.

So does anyone know what t-case would be in this?

does anyone know where to get a good used one?

It's the NP231J, and you can find used ones in XJ's, MJ's, and YJ's. You may have to swap the input shaft from your busted TC to the donor TC depending on what transmission was in front of the donor TC.

It's possible to weld the 231 if you can find somebody to weld aluminum. Can you get a picture of what broke? I've got some TC parts, everything short of the rear case half.

Did the back half of the case break or did the output housing just break off? If it was the output housing and the shaft itself didn't break, that's an easy fix. Just get a housing from the junkyard, install a new seal and your good to go.
I couldn't tell you how in the world that housing breaks and the shaft doesn't, but it can. It happened to mine a couple of times because of a dropped shaft.

is it still slip yoke? if so you pay shipping and ill give you one

Back