whining from down below

indiemo

my TJ seems to be making some kind of whining/whirring noise from underneath somewhere. it seems to get higher the faster I go...i.e. it seems to be independent of engine speed and what gear I'm in. could it be u-joints or my diffs? just had the fluid replaced in the diffs and it doesn't seem to have made any difference. any thoughts would be appreciated.

I should also mention that the noise goes away when I push in the clutch.

Sounds like a noisy throwout bearing for the clutch. It shouldn't hurt anything until it gets worse, when it'll either stiffen up causing a stiff clutch pedal that won't engage, or it'll come apart and make a lot of noise and you won't have any clutch.

Either way it's time to drop the transmission and install a LUK clutch kit from www.carolinaclutch.com .

Electrical Questions

I had the same thing happen to my YJ, it turned out to be the ring & pinion were worn, actually they were torn to hell.

i agree with bounty... if it goes away when you push the clutch... it is likely the throwout

I wouldn't get the LUK Gold kit unless you're running a lot more HP than a stock jeep engine and need the extra holding power. That money is better spent somewhere else. Regular LUK will do you just fine.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if it was the throw out bearing, wouldn't the sound be more dependent on engine speed? Like wouldn't the "speed" of the whirring drop down every time I shifted gears, since the clutch would be spinning at the same speed as the engine? The noise seems to get higher pitched as I go faster. Also, there's no noise when it's in neutral and the clutch is engaged. Just some thoughts. Let me know if I'm off my rocker.

Back