85 cj7 4wheel question

djc321

RE: Comparing 2.5 litre TJ to 4.0 re: off-roading, performa

can anyone tell me the proper procedure for engaging my 4 wheel drive?I have no manuals and it's nothing like my ranger

RE: steering trouble

lock manual hubs on front wheels
pull 4x4 gear handle into 4 high

to put in 4 low,trans must be in nuetral

helps to have a very slow roll going when trying to shift it.

thanks for the help. To disengage I don't have to roll in reverse or anything like that?

Finding results of my poll

Just stop moving and shift into 4hi. To go to 4lo, stop the vehicle and put it in neutral. Sometimes 4lo can be stubborn you need to let the vehicle roll very slowly while you shift, like White said. There's no need to back up, unless you want to make sure the hubs fully disengage, but it isn't really needed.

I have to roll my '84 CJ a little for the 4WD light to go out when getting out of 4hi. Just a bit of info.

djc321 said:
thanks for the help. To disengage I don't have to roll in reverse or anything like that?

That was needed on the older auto locking hubs (like your Ranger and my old Explorer) but with the manual hubs you have you don't need to.

Re: RE: Re: RE: HowdyHo!

If you have a stubborn 4wheel low like I do it helps to roll forward slowly and lock up the brakes then shift into 4low.

The Best way I have found to do it only works if you have a manual trans. Put it in gear 1st of reverse doesn't matter. Pull on the level while you let the clutch out just a hair until it just grabs and it will pop right in. You just need to line up the gears so they can mesh.

Back