tj jerking around

vonnn

ok i just bought my 97 tj sport ihave a 3 inch emu lift , 6 cylinder stick, 307 gears , 32 inch tires , with a dana 44 rear. Anyhow when i shift im noticing this clunking sound underneath it only happens when i shift fast . If i let my foot off the clutch slowly it does not do it any ideas what it could be ?? im a novice ha thanks for the help

RE: Re: RE: Warning NOT for those that don

It could be a that the rubber mount between your transfer case and skid plate is busted and when u put alot of power to it that makes it move. Thats all i got.

RE: new jeeper w/dumb question

I'm having a similar problem with my '01, but i thought it might be due to the CV conversion that I did.

RE: Antone lose their JEEP?

I replaced the rear motor mount on my 97 SE. It is pretty hidden under the skid plate. The reason I replaced it was that I was having jerking in particularly low gears. There had been a rock hit on the skid plate before I got the jeep and I thought that it had caused the rubber unit to break.

Indeed the construction of the mount is odd. It is actually designed to tear from front to back if something solid slams the skid plate. This will allow the transmission to float up and away from the skid plate by tearing.

Mine also had other problems that I never really solved and I suspect that you should check the slop in the rear end by wiggling the driveshaft. There is a rubber seal on the rear end that leaks after a period of use. This could cause the rear end to dry greese. At any rate check the play and replace that seal. The rubber on the new seals will cup better to the differential housing and should not leak until after you sell it....

Back