Ran out of Gas

daniel5455

RE: Newest, Youngest Jeeper, Its a Girl!!

This weekend i ran out of gas. Totaly sucked and was embarrasing. My fuel guage stops at 1/4 tank and wont go lower so i didnt know i was out of gas. When i fill the tank the guage moves to the full position but it will only go down to the 1/4 mark. I have a 98 Jeep Wranger 2.5L manual trans. What do you think the issue is? could it be the fuel gauge or do you think its something else.

thanks

RE: Re: Diff & Locker advice

I had the same problem with my YJ until i just took the gauge out and used the trip meter for my gas meter, haha. One of my buddies had all of his fuel lines and pump and all that stuff replaced and it didnt make no difference.

LR

RE: Re: Diff & Locker advice

It could just be the infamous screwed up jeep gas gauge, or it might be a dent in the bottem of the gas tank could cause that.

Nathan

RE: Mingez went wheeling today. ***Warning!!! LOTS of pics

Most likely its the sender in the tank.....

Body Mounts

my gas gauge went about 10k ago, 180 miles to the tank is what I go by for my jeep, when I get on the trail that just screws everything up so I just fill up before going on the trail and then fill up after the trail. And yes everyonce in a while if i have weird driving conditions I have run out of gas before...that's why i always carry a few gallons in a gerry can with me at all times for precaution

-brian

93 YJ 2.5L 3.5in BDS Lift, .5" Lift Shackles 33x12.5 Kuhmo MTRS

happened in my work van, doesn't go past 1/2 tank, i'm guessing when they changed the fuel pump they messed somthing up with the float. I just use the trip now like LR.

hehe, I did the same thing when I first got my YJ. my mechanic said it was the fuel sending unit or something like that. I didn't bother getting it fixed, I just know to fill the tank every 250-300 kms. :D

Re: RE: ZJ V8 Fan and Fan Clutch Swap

I have the same problem with my 93 YJ, I've had the pump and sending unit replaced didnt help much I use the trip meter and fill up at 180 200 max however I still ran out of gas 4 months ago.

Good Rock Crawler web vids

When I first bought my jeep, it would stop at 1/4 tank, now it stops at 1/2 tank. I went to an aftermarket place near to where I live that deals strictly in jeeps and the guy told me he's replaced his 3 times and it's still messed up. He says it's a very common problem with jeeps that usually happens after it's been takes off road and shaken around a little. Says it's a problem with the float in the sending unit. He's given up trying to fix the problem and just goes by the mileage instead. This might not be your problem so you might want to try cleaning all connections between the sending unit and the guage, this will sometimes fix it.

Mine is empty between 1/8 and 1/4 tank on the guage now...found out the hard way after work about a month ago. Fortunately, I had enough speed to just barely coast into the nearest station! It could have been worse, though. At one point on my drive home, I'm 20 miles from the nearest station. Now I go by the trip meter. I can run 400 miles on a tank, so I generally fill up between 320 and 350 miles.

Same thing happened to me the first week i owned my 95 YJ, ON A DATE. Talk about embarissing she thought i was kidding when I told her I was out of gas. Lucky i was in town and not out wheeling.

RE: Re: Hey Greenreaper!!!!

Sparky-Watts said:
I can run 400 miles on a tank, so I generally fill up between 320 and 350 miles.
What do you have in that thing that can go 400 miles to a tank? My trip meter is in kilometers and I barely get 400 kms to a tank.

RE: Re: I am a Murderer

I have a "15" gallon tank that holds 20, and I get 20-22 mpg after removing the air restrictor on my 4 banger.

Craig....do you go to Gemini for your jeep stuff? i just ordered some stuff from them and am hoping they know their sh.it

rollcage

spank said:
Craig....do you go to Gemini for your jeep stuff? i just ordered some stuff from them and am hoping they know their sh.it
Ya, I've been there for a lot of hard to find stuff but they're a ripoff for a lot of things. He knows that for a lot of parts, since he's the only one who has em, he can charge a premium price. A good friend of mine runs an automotive shop in Delta and he can order most stuff cheaper than Gemini. He does know his sh.t though. His name is Brock. I've seen a lot of really old jeep parts such as grills and stuff sittin in his shop.
Have you ever been to the island rock crawl? I hear there's some good trails around that area. Thinking of going next summer.

ya, Gemini does seem a little expensive. meh, what are ya gonna do

no, i haven't been to the island rock crawl. there are lots of good trails on the island though. you should definitely check it out sometime

I have the opposite problem, when the guage shows E I still have about a quarter tank left in the YJ. Not sure how accurate the odometer is because I'm running 33's but I get about 240 miles a tank.

rhino liner on the exterior

Sparky-Watts said:
I have a "15" gallon tank that holds 20, and I get 20-22 mpg after removing the air restrictor on my 4 banger.

how do you get 20 gal, and where is this air restrictor you removed? is that the hose in the tank that keeps the 15 gal from filling all the way up to 20.

sicnik said:
Sparky-Watts said:

how do you get 20 gal, and where is this air restrictor you removed? is that the hose in the tank that keeps the 15 gal from filling all the way up to 20.

I haven't yet removed the vent hose from the tank, so that last 5 gallons takes about 5 minutes to squeeze in. You pretty much have to let the gas trickle in to get the last 5.

As far as the air restrictor, there's a thread here somewhere that talks about it, but disconnect your intake hose from your filter box, and there will be a cone-shaped restrictor tube inside it. Grab it with a pair of pliers and pull it out. It's pretty simple. My mileage went from 15 to 20 after I did that.

Back