600 or 750 carb on 350

bryanjeep

I asked you this before, but that was when I had my Performer intake. Now I have a Performer RPM intake. Would you recommend a 750 Performer carb. I have:

It is a 4 bolt main High Performance option. (roller rockers,flat lifters, performance cam with .280 intake & .295 exhaust, double roller chain, 194 intake valve, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, computer balanced, flat lifters, Edlebrock Perf. fuel pump, & Mallory HEI

If it were a drag car maybe. Most people tend to over-carb. That will cause it to flood out easily.
Its easier to tune a smaller carb. I have a Performer 600 on a buick 350 .30 over and it was a drop in and running, but still needed tuning.

i'd go holley 650 double pumper. It has mechanical secondaries and easy to get set up. Whats the compression ratio and cc of the head?

RE: Re: RE: paint ?

A 600 will feed it fine. You'd gain a little power on the top end with the 750, but it would be harder to tune on the bottom. I'd second the Holley 650, but if you are running an automatic transmission, I'd go with vacuum secondaries. A Quadrajet is a GREAT offroad carb, and they are fairly easy to tune after you get the hang of them. They allow better gas mileage from the smaller primaries, and a more dramatic "kick in the pants" when the secondaries open. I like vacuum secondaries and spread-bores better for a dual purpose vehicle.

I think we discussed this before, but......I'm concerned about that camshaft. It's a rather healthy street grind, and a little out of place with the small valve heads. What's the stall speed of your torque converter and what differential ratio are you going with? What is the combustion chamber size in those heads? Or better yet, what is the head casting number? I'm just curious.

One last thing and I'll shut-up.....I love Edelbrock, but their carbs and fuel pumps are junk. I highly recommend ditching that pump, and staying as far away from their carbs as you can get.

I agree 100% with junkpile on the edelbrock carbs. Their carbs are made by carter......so we all know how good they are.I believe their pumps are carter to but i'm not sure.

I forget you had auto trans. vacume secondaries would be better for that. I haven't had an auto trans vehicle in years, i forgot they existed.

I refuse to buy Holley. I have always heard bad stuff on them. I have never heard any bad reports on Edlebrock until this. That is wierd, I always thought they were good carbs and pumps.I dont know the compression ratio and I have to go get the casting number for you.

The converter is going to be a stock stall. Right now the 14 bolt has 4.10 gears, but when I change them out I will get the lowest possible (5.17 I think).

Get the edelbrock 1406 carb, will fit real nice on top of that motor! it is a electric choke, 600 cfm carb!

Way too many people over carb engines ( Right White)

I have a pontiac 400 with a pretty aggressive cam, flowed aluminum heads, etc... and I only run a 750 demon carb, and in tuning it look like it is a little on the big side.

Bryan, that sounds like it's going to be blast to run through the pit once you get it all dialed in. It should run alot like my engine, but it should make a little more torque down low and a little less HP on the top end. I've basically got the same size cam in my AMC 304 and it's a little on the radical side for a trail rig, but it runs just like you want them to through the pit. Like I said, my engine doesn't make quite as much power at lower rpms as yours should, so mine would be a dog in your Jeep unless it had a fairly loose converter. I'd plan on investing in one with around 2500-2800rpm stall speed to balance out maximum performance while still keeping some slow speed trail ability. The 4.11s are kind of tall for those 38s, especially with a factory stall, it might ba a little disappointing until you can get them changed.
It's going to freakin fly after you get it all set up though!

Back