Brake Warning Light reset

NeilFrisch

Re: RE: Are my starter

I replaced my rear wheel cylinders along with the two rear steel brake lines (necesitated by a brake line leak). I bled both rear cylinders and everything "feels" like it is working okay. How do I get the brake warning light to go off? It came on due to the loss of fluid pressure. '88 Wrangler with 6 cylinder engine.

RE: MC2100 coming in the mail

Hi-Ya, Neil,

You might have to bleed the brakes again, but while doing that use some sort of clamp on the proportioning valve to hold the P-V “button” depressed while you bleed the brakes.

Depressing the so-called button will allow the proportioning valve to “re-center.” I hope that your brake-failure light will be extinguished when you have completed the bleeding and then removed the P-V button clamp.

Edit:

Here is a picture of a generic proportioning valve. I have boxed in red the “button” that needs to be depressed. The button is usually covered by a rubber boot.

image-missing.png

Hope that clarifies.

Regards,

Gadget

RE: Holiday Wish list

Thanks Inspector...haven't had time to try it yet what with this work thing and it getting dark at 5:00. Do I have to bleed the front brakes too for this to take effect? Since only the rears were affected by the broken line I only bled the backs...needing to bleed the fronts could lead to a whole new set of issues. Thanks again, it looks good to me.

RE: sick people in the world

Hi,

I too have heard that you only need to bleed the part of the brake system which was opened up. However, I've found that it is still a very good idea to bleed the ENTIRE system, to be sure all air is out. I've never had good luck bleeding just part of the system.

The warning lamp on the brake proportioning valve is usually triggered by an imbalance in internal pressure between the two halves of the valve (front and back circuits). So I'd think that you must have a significant amount of air in one of the lines, or a leak, or a faulty proportioning valve which is causing the lamp to come on.

With that said, I've NEVER triggered that lamp on either of my Jeeps, even when I've known there was a lot of air in the system.

-Nick :!:

RE: My Boggers and Rims are on eBay 35 x 14.50

i just pump the brakes really hard, and the light usually goes off.

RE: Cell phone users

I have read for many other cars they recomend bleeding the front brake first to make sure the Proportioning valve's piston is centered. Even if you didn't touch the front. Then you can bleed the rear.

Back