Help!! I think she might blow!!!!

mud4feet

Friends, need some advice (again).
One of my "bonus" sons borrowed mudwoman's '94 YJ 4Banger this weekend. Just called us from WalMart sayin' it's leaking oil real bad. We went to pick it up, and sure enough, she's got a pretty good drip (only when running). Filled 'er up and brought her on home. I remember reading 97TJ's thread about the oil sending unit -

http://www.jeepz.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=325272

and was wondering if this could be the source of the leak. The gauge has been pegged for a while now, but everything was fine, so we just lived with it (yeah, I know, not too bright). Anyway, she lost about a 1 1/2 - 2 qts. on the way home (10 miles + or -). Is this more than a bad sending unit could spew??

BTW, it's snowin' and blowin' here and supposed to continue through the night, so anything y'all could tell me that would minimize by cold, wet, muddy, backside time will be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.........

mud

A follow up........I went out and got cold, wet, and nasty and tried tracing the source of the leak. I believe I've located the oil pressure sending unit (about the same level as the filter and a bit more forward - wire or two coming out the top). Started her up and that thing's spewing oil faster than Notre Dame's been spewing coaches ( :lol: :lol: ). So, is this just a screw out/ screw in fix??? My domestic peace depends upon this - mudwoman's baby is sick and I am the doctor!! :shock:

RE: antifreeze

yes, if there is no hi temp teflon paste on the new sending unit, dab a little on the threads, but most sending units will have it already on there (most napa products do)

i don't have a 4 cyl. but is there and chance that you're talking about a mechanical fuel pump? my yj's fuel pump is right where you described and had what looked like a wire coming out of the top. mine blew about month and a half ago and was pouring oil (and a little fuel) everywhere. i thought it was the gasket but it ended up being the whole pump.

awake said:
i don't have a 4 cyl. but is there and chance that you're talking about a mechanical fuel pump? my yj's fuel pump is right where you described and had what looked like a wire coming out of the top. mine blew about month and a half ago and was pouring oil (and a little fuel) everywhere. i thought it was the gasket but it ended up being the whole pump.

God, I hope not!! It's a pretty wimpy lookin' fuel pump, if that's what it is. How 'bout ya' 4Banger owners??? It's actually a little forward of the distributor, too, if that's any help. I've been tryin' to take pics, but it's really cold and dark out there.

First off, my garage -
image-missing.png
[/URL]

Now, where it's at -
image-missing.png
[/URL]

It's where the image gets blurred - just ahead of the distributor. I tried to put an arrow on there, but I think Mingez needs to give me a few lessons! :lol:

RE: S N O W ! ! !

should be an oil pressure sending unit - wouldnt be a mechanical fuel pump (6 or so psi.) and any engine w/fuel injection has to have an electric pump (20+ psi) and is usually mounted inside the tank....

RE: S N O W ! ! !

LVRockCrawler said:
should be an oil pressure sending unit - wouldnt be a mechanical fuel pump (6 or so psi.) and any engine w/fuel injection has to have an electric pump (20+ psi) and is usually mounted inside the tank....

That's what I thought........Thanks, much, LV. I can sleep tonight (oil pressure sending unit - $25 at Advance Auto Parts in town).

RE: Will tires fit on wheels?

yep. definitely not what i was thinking of. my yj is a 90 so it isn't fuel injection. sorry for the brain fart.

parker

Fuel system...

Yeah its definetly the sending unit. Had the exact same prob on our 93. Its a very simple fix. Get a sending unit socket, makes it alot easier to remove.

Check those credit card bills...

Mud,

Sorry im late on jumping into this thread. Anyhow, be careful with the sending unit. When I called the Advance Auto parts around here, they had 2 different ones and they quoted me ~50 for the one I needed. They have a domestic and an export model. From what I can tell the export has 1 pin where the harness plugs in, the domestic has 2. I dont know what the difference is beyond that.

When I changed mine, I had to use a crescent wrench. Slow and a PITB, but didnt have anything else to fit. I dont know if you have A/C but I also unbolted the compressor and layed it aside (without unhooking any lines) just to give me some more room.

Other than that pretty simple, straight foward job.
Good luck and dont freeze!!

Nathan

mud4feet said:
First off, my garage -
image-missing.png
[/URL]

Yo, mud. I really think you need to check the roof on your garage. You may have a small hole allowing some snow in. Just thought I'd help out. :D

Green97, thanx for the heads-up on the part - I'll be watchful of that. And I wish you hadn't said that about "simple, straight forward job" - those are the kind I usually screw up royally!!

And South.......................very funny! :evil: :evil: :evil:

(JK - that was pretty funny! :lol: :lol: )

RE: Fuel system...

Hi-Ya Mud,

I have been watching this thread develop with interest. I have not previously added my two-cents worth because I have nothing to offer about changing of the oil pressure sending unit that you don’t already know or that someone else has not already posted.

I am concerned, however, that in your first post of this thread, you mentioned excessive oil pressure. That topic has yet to be addressed. I have been wondering if the oil pressure sending unit blowout is the result of that excessive oil pressure. If that is the case, and If the excessive oil pressure problem is not dealt with, you just might find yourself changing the oil pressure sending unit again in the near future.

For what it might be worth, I would ask you to consider changing the oil filter as part of replacing the oil pressure sending unit.

What the heck? You are going to be half frozen anyway. What difference could another twenty-minutes and another $5.00 make?

Modern oil filters have a built-in pressure relief valve. I am suspicious that the pressure relief valve in your oil filter has gone to the happy hunting ground at the big Jiffy-Lube in the sky.

Depending on where in the engine oiling system oil pressure is measured, the excessive oil pressure might be an indication of a clogged/collapsed oil filter or a filter with a bad pressure relief valve.

If you happen to have a “Fram” oil filter now installed, I would be especially suspicious of the oil filter.

One guy’s oil filter recommendations can be found here:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html

I might very well be “all wet” with my “change the oil filter” suggestion, but to paraphrase Fox News, I suggest, you decide.

Regards,

Gadget

Re: RE: Funny....

Hi-Ya back, Gadget!

Regarding your response, yes, I was wondering about the excessive oil pressure (at least on the gauge) myself (this is mudwoman's jeep, so I don't drive it much and she is not much help, bless her heart). It was in the plans (before the snows hit) to do the oil change to both jeeps (so, luckily, I had plenty of oil on hand to nurse L'il Red home). It's interesting that you mentioned the "Fram" oil filter, which is also here waiting to be installed. I read some startling posts on another forum about Frams......interesting reading.........and I think I will spend a couple more dollars on another filter before doing the change (better safe than sorry). Hopefully, when I install the new sending unit, I will get an accurate reading on the pressure, and I'll go from there (Fram currently installed). Please contribute your $.02 anytime - it's worth dollars to me........and thanx much for your concern!

However, at the moment, I'm trying to get the water to work in our house (see post in general chat - there's a link there that might interest you), so Li'l Red's still sittin' there waiting to be attended to.

Your fellow old fart,

mud

RE: kumho mud tires

Wow I have always used Fram filters exclusively on every vehicle I have ever owned. If I can find some info besides this one guy's analysis that reinforces his web page then I am switching brands pronto!!!

Yeah, I hear ya TC. Was a surprise to me.....So, none of your vehicles have blown up!! :shock: :shock: I figure as long as you change them every 3000 miles, should be good, even with a "poor quatlity" filter (quotations placed to reflect other people's opinions). Sound reasonable???

An update: First, thanx everyone for all the help! It warmed up to about 35 so "master mechanic" mud screwed out old part - screwed in new. Viola!! No more leak and gauge reflects proper pressure!! So let it be learned that if your gauge is maxed out all the time, better check your pressure sending unit or you could have a MAJOR oil leak on the horizon. Thanx again for your help and your humor.

greasy fingered mud

Back