antifreeze

YJTino

RE: Getting to see you all is great!

Hey Guys! I would like to replace the antifreeze in my YJ. Can I just drain the whole thing or should it be flushed? If it needs to be flushed, is there any way I could do it myself? Any tips on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks. :?

Simply drain the system, then add a lot of distilled water to fill and let it run for a minute or so, then drain again, then simply put in 50/50 mix of ani-freeze and distilled water. I would use distilled water, it is $1.00 a gallon at CVS and you'll use maybe 2.5 gallons in a stock YJ radiator. if you simply use the tap water, you can damage to cooling system and will get a lot of calcium diposits in the cooling system.

A little backyard flush like jps was talking about is good enough if your just freshening it up. You'll never get all of the old stuff out that way, but unless you are switching coolant types or you have had some major cooling system or internal leakage problems, you don't need to.

you could go and get the whole system done (like i did when i moved out here from FL to the desert w/my old 91) = flushed, cored, rodded, etc... or you can go get the store bought cooling sys cleaner but if your radiator is in good shape (i.e. not clogged up) the distilled water was a great tip (never thought of that!) - nice 2 cents there jps!

Re: RE: S N O W ! ! !

I always flush it when I change the coolant. I use a garden hose to the top while the bottom drain is open while it's running. That's the way my high school auto shop teacher taught me and it's habit now. I use the pre-mixed stuff because I'm too lazy to buy distilled water and mix it.

RE: Re: RE: Will tires fit on wheels?

You could go a bit different than what TC said and buy yerself one of those "Flush T" connectors that goes inline in the heater hose. I've done that with all of my vehicles (except the YJ because I haven't gotten around to doing it yet). They have a threaded end with a cap that when removed can have a garden hose screwed into them....much less mess and less chance of getting soaked. They don't cost but a couple of bucks.

RE: New girl in town

Sparky-Watts said:
You could go a bit different than what TC said and buy yerself one of those "Flush T" connectors that goes inline in the heater hose. IIt seem like a good plan! Where do you buy that "T". Can you give me a little more detail on your design? Thanks

Back