IS MY TRANSFER CASE DAMAGED?

JEEP27

I JUST RETURNED FROM PICKING UP MY 93 JEEP. WHEN I GOT HOME I CHECKED ALL THE FLUIDS. I DISCOVERED THAT THE TRANSFER CASE BARELEY HAD ANY FLUID IN IT. THE MANUAL CALLS FOR 3 PINTS OR 1.5 QT. IT TOOK ABOUT 2.75 PINTS TO FILL IT TO PLUG. I DROVE IT AROUND THE BLOCK IN 4WD HIGH AND EVERYTHING SEEMED FINE. DO YOU THINK ANY PERMANENT DAMAGE WAS DONE DRIVING IT LIKE THIS? IS THE TRANSFER CASE USED WHEN IT IS ONLY IN 2WD ON THE HIGHWAY. IT WAS DRIVEN FOR AT LEAST 900 MILES LIKE THIS? I DON'T KNOW WHY BUT SOMEONE FORGOT FLUID.[addsig]

it sounds like you lucked out, the internals still move while in 2wd, but they're not under load, so hopefully you'll be ok.[addsig]

I have a 83 CJ7, just bought it. Should I be checking the fluids in my Transfer case and if so where? Is it like checking the oil, with a dip stick?

TIA,,[addsig]

nope, checking it is usually more like checking a manual transmission for fluid, usually there are two plug, one is a check plug and one is a drain plug. Not sure on CJs though, maybe someone who knows what t-case they have can tell you exactly how to check it.[addsig]

It should be a Dana 300 and there is a fill plug that you can remove and check the fluid level.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>I have a 83 CJ7, just bought it. Should I be checking the fluids in my Transfer case and if so where? Is it like checking the oil, with a dip stick?

TIA,,</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

It should be a D300 case. The fill plug is on the rear of the case and the drain is in the bottom accessible through a hole in the bolt-on cross-member. (It's usually an allen headed plug).

Since you just bought it, I would suggest draining all the fluids and replacing with new. Go to your local parts store and invest in a good suction pump gun and all the fluids. HTH[addsig]

Back