Turn signal indicators light up with parking lights.

PhattyX

CJ5 74 Hood Vent

It's an '84 CJ7. I'm putting the dash back together and have two minor problems that I'm hoping are related.

1. The turn signals are REALLY slow
2. The turn signal indicators on the dash / speedo light up when the parking lights come on. With the parking lights on, the turn signals themselves get very dim when turned on, but do not blink.

Please tell me someone has seen this before. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

-X

PS - It's almost done! Mount / Allign doors, Windsheild & paint the outside.

Hi,

I have had this exact problem before with my Cherokee.

The problem ended up being that both front parking/turn signal light sockets were corroded, AND the grounding pins had broken off in them. So, without a path to ground, the filament on one circuit would "feed back" to groud through the other filament and circuit and vice versa. This not only made other lamps on the circuits glow when they shouldn't have, but also resulted slow, dim turn signals.

I replaced the sockets are everything went back to normal. But regardless of whether you have bad sockets or not, it is definately a grounding problem.

-Nick :!:

RE: 5.5 in RE what should i go for?

The guru has spoken!! Take Nick's advice and check that first!!!!!

I had something similar happen with my CJ7. Just like Nick said, my turn signal sockets were corroded. After a little cleaning and some dielectric grease for prevention, it has been fine.

I have had this exact problem before with my Cherokee.

Sweet. I was about to take the dash down (again!). Let me check all the sockets in the loop, first. Thanks much Nick and the other confirmations.

-X

I have a kinda similar problem. all the correct lights light up solid, but they do not blink. I also dont have any interior lights

RE: removing rear track bar help

86cj7Rich - The blink is controlled by a "flasher relay". I'd suggest you start by replacing that. Any manual (Chilton's etc) will give you more info. Hopefully, a simple fix.

My interior lights didn't work either. There was a blown fuse under the dash. Replaced it, tried again, and it immediately blew. Turns out, there is "dome light" wiring down the driver's side to the back corner to hook up the light on a hardtop. That power & ground were lying next to each other and shorting the circuit out. ALSO, the wiring to the passanger side interrior light goes straight across the bottom of the dash. If any screw going through there (such as mounting AC or a miriad of "grounding points") caught your light wiring, that could be a culprit, too. Hope that helps.

-X

Back