The Jeep Lift Jungle

billgin

I'm sooo confused! I have been reading so much conflicting stuff about lifts recently that I feel like I'm back at square 1. Body lifts, suspension lifts, SOAs, add-a-leafs - the list just goes on. Makes me think that Jeepz.com, as great as it already is, should have a forum dedicated solely to lifts. For all of you 35" tires/8" lift cliffclimbers out there (and more power to you), there's also us 31" tires/2" lift backroaders. We all want the coolest/most proficient Jeeps, and we'll all do our own work to the extent we can, but surely after all this time, there's some consensus on the cheapest, easiest, modest lift that doesn't mean all kinds of major mods underneath. Is there nowhere to find out the straight goods on all the various lifts from 1" on up, and exactly what happens the higher you go? Me and my 90 YJ are dreaming of a day when we can partner on a 2-3" lift with a minimum of pain for both of us, but we're still searching for enlightenment. Or are we dreaming in technicolor? Many thanks to all you Jeep folks out there. [addsig]

I'm not a YJ guy, but what about a 2~2.5" suspension lift and a 1" body lift combined with a 1" mml. Rather inexpensive on paper and you won't run into the costly extras associated with bigger lifts. That should be enough to let ya run up to 32's on a YJ comfortably
image-missing.png
. Vibes, if any, would be addressed by the motor mount lifft. Reprocussions? You're center of gravity is gonna be higher, so you'll have to adjust your driving accordingly. It's not gonna roll at the drop of the hat, but always use common sense driving after you modify the suspension
image-missing.png
.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>You're center of gravity is gonna be higher, so you'll have to adjust your driving accordingly. It's not gonna roll at the drop of the hat, but always use common sense driving after you modify the suspension
image-missing.png
.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed but I'd like to add that by using wider tires and/or less backspacing it is entirely possible to retain (or even exceed) stock stability even with the higher center of gravity. So much more so with the smaller lifts...
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Hey drack. I have a question for you. Wouldnt be a lot of work to put in a motor mount lift? Do you have to pull the motor to put em on? Anyway billgin, I put a 4" suspension lift (skyjacker) and 31"s on my 95YJ and it worked out quite well. I had vibes but dropped the T-case and that took care of that. I could have fit 33"s with no rubbing (the guy at the shop where I ordered the lift said he put one on for another guy with a YJ and that guy runs 33's just fine.) Of course, he wanted like $400 to put the lift on but I said nah and put it on myself in about 3 days in my garage. The 2.5 lift was almost as much in price so I just went with the 4 instead. All I did was change out the springs/shocks and put on the drop pitman arm. I also put on the track bar brackets and made my own t-case drop. It can all be done with hand tools (cept maybe the pitman (i actually had the alignment shop do that one for me cuz I could not get it off) but air tools are nice
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back