Automatic or Manual?

jeeprookie

RE: 1985 XJ $500!

I am still looking for a jeep. A couple of the ones I have looked into have been sold or just not what I was looking for. Anyway, the jeep will be a daily driver and the occasional offroad. What do you all like better for offroad, an automatic or a maunal? Manuals are a lot easier to find but I think the auto would be less of a hassle to drive offroad. What do you all think?
Pros and Cons for both transmissions would be greatly appreciated!

I have a Manual in my Jeep and wish I had an AUTO! it is a pain when crawling around.....I had an 86 Bronco with Auto..I liked it much better...

Chev blower motor

i cant belive your even asking that question... its its not manual your not even driving it off road anymore... the jeep is driving you, i like the control it gives me personally, and i just love the power of shifting - i turned down a couple jeeps when i was looking cause they were autos.
HUGE FAN OF THE STICK :wink:

Tough call. Another topic that has been debated over and over again, but what it really comes down to is personal preference. The only thing I'd say would be a decision maker is if you deal with alot of stop and go traffic get an auto trans and save your sanity.

I like a manual trans, but I have to admit the auto on my XJ is nice offroad.

Whatever floats your boat.

RE: Need help with rear shaft

I have to put my two cents in on this one. I will put it simply you can tell how good of a driver you are w/ a manual transmission. Auto's are just that auto's. They make life easy for you. Kinda like taking RV camping instead of using a tent.

spring centering pins are to big

Thanks for the info. I realize that a lot of it is personal preference, but I wasnt sure how much it sucks to have a manual off road.

p.s. you all replied awful quick. Sweet!!

RE: Re: spring centering pins are to big

Autos hate water, the manual is nearly waterproof and hasslefree. The manual is better at compression braking downhill as well. The auto gives a little more control in terrain like rockcrawling, and torque multiplication.

Next we'll discuss TJ v. YJ, and round v. sqaure ;) JK, an age ole debate. Nothing wrong with asking.

I love manuals! We had an auto jeep once and hated it. Just wasnt jeep and couldnt get used to not being in control of the low range. I like the control of the manual. Manuals tend to last longer when taken care of. If you have trouble starting on hills or just want it to be smooth, instal a thumb throttle, it's like a $5 mod. And a good one too. Just my 2 cents worth.

RE: drive train problem

This is a fun debate. I like the automatic, but it just isn't practical in some vehicles. My 2.5l YJ would have sucked with an automatic. My CJ7 NEEDS an automatic, it would be faster with a properly built auto. I really don't care, I guess :?

I can bang gears like Ronnie Sox, and even Ronnie Sox couldn't shift faster than a built automatic......so it's good either way :wink:

RE: Chev blower motor

Same here Junkpile. My 2.5'd YJ would have been REALLY bad with an auto. I liked the ability to peg the rpm's up at 5 or 6K when it needed it.

I think manuals are much easier to control for things like rockcrawling. Like sully said, a thumbthrottle is an excelent thing to have and it is cheap and easy to do.

I've got an auto in my current "toy", but I think it is the only way to go in a truck like itself. But that's only because it has a TON of power, and there's a lot of it at very low RPM's.

Stick all the way!!......but I've owned automatics (city life, BLEEHH!). I like the control with the stick, especially the engine braking, as was mentioned before. But have no doubt, sticks are great off road.

jeeprookie said:
I wasnt sure how much it sucks to have a manual off road.

Well I wouldn't go that far (saying it sucks). Crawling rock and lots of "throttle, brake, throttle, brake" obstacles an auto is easier, yes. If you're planning on a trail ride through the woods and plowing through mudholes than it is definately a preference thing. I'm happy with a 5 speed in the YJ.

Bounty did make a good point about the water.

Daystar Bushings

I held out for a manual and it was worth the wait.... oh and I have installed the hand throttle too. Makes things easier for crawlin too.

Re: Daystar Bushings

I can vouch for the fact that the 2.5 needs the manual. Ive got the auto behind mine, and while it is nice around town and its not as bad as most would think, it would still benifit from the manual. Mostly because more gears= easier to keep in power band.

Nathan

RE: BH and Sully...gen chat

Manual all the way for me off-road. I've driven both, but only owned manual. I had a buddy with an F-150 with an auto transmission, and it really, really, really sucked off-road. With my Jeep, I can put it in 4-lo and 1st gear, idle up an incline that's steep as a cow's face, then idle down the other side without once touching the gas or brake, and the Jeep never changes speed at all. With his auto transmission, you had to gas it up one side, then use the brakes coming down the other side...seen this with auto Jeeps, too, although not quite as bad.

now about these "so called" hand throttles...or thumb throttles......had one on an ATV...
Where might I ask...can I...ah I mean ..a person get one of those if they wanted it...not saying the I persay would want one.....just a ...eeerr...aahh...you know general reference sort of thing...... :mrgreen:

You can buy kits for like $30; I think rubicon express has one. However, it is cheap and easy to build your own. I read a writeup where the guy used the brake lever off an old bicycle, mounted it to his shift lever, and used the brake cable to run to the carb. I used a manual choke knob/cable off an older cj on mine...actually the guy i bought my jeep from installed it and I happened to figure out what it is when i was messing around with the heater controlls.

Check out my new decal!

I've run the rubicon multiple times and can tell you a auto is so much nicer than a stick in the rocks. But yes autos do not like the water.

RE: Check out my new decal!

I got my hand throttle for around $7 at the local bike shop, simply a thumb shifter and cable. I don't use mine while wheelin, just while winching to keep the RPM's up.

Back