1. #1
    I'm planning on rewiring my reverse lights because I don't think the stock wiring is thick enough to handle my larger, aftermarket reverse lights. I tried hooking them up straight off the battery using 14 guage wire and they're much brighter. I'm wondering where the switch is to enguage the reverse lights. I'm assuming it's on the shifter near the transmission. Is it on the outside of the transmission or is the switch inside the transmission? Also, where is it drawing power from? Is it wired from the reverse switch straight to the fuse box? I have an auxilary fuse box that I wired in under the hood which is where I'm gonna take the power from for the lights. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    I'm planning on rewiring my reverse lights because I don't think the stock wiring is thick enough to handle my larger, aftermarket reverse lights. I tried hooking them up straight off the battery using 14 guage wire and they're much brighter. I'm wondering where the switch is to enguage the reverse lights. I'm assuming it's on the shifter near the transmission. Is it on the outside of the transmission or is the switch inside the transmission? Also, where is it drawing power from? Is it wired from the reverse switch straight to the fuse box? I have an auxilary fuse box that I wired in under the hood which is where I'm gonna take the power from for the lights. Thanks.

    Craig,

    I used the existing backup light circuit to drive a relay that would swicth the fused, new battery circuit to the lights. Running a larger current through the normal backup light switch could burn up the switch. I picked up the relay at Advanced Auto. It's has four connectors, two energize the relay and the other two are the closure for the lights. This is a 30amp relay the same one used for driving/fog light installations. I didn't feel comfortable using the existing YJ harness, too light and looked like a fire hazard to me.

    I found this diagram elsewhere.





    Good luck,
    mike
    mike aka: NiteDog
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

    95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed /99 XJ Panel Sport /96 XJ with Stuff
    07 XK 'Momma's Grocery Getter'

    "No 'Rice Burners' and no 'fart can' exhausts. 100% Jeep Family"

  3. #3

    Reader Rides converstion done

    The switch for the reverse lights is screwed into the side of the transmission, has two wires to it.

  4. #4
    Is that top schematic with the manual switch correct? I thought the whole purpose of using a relay was to not burn out your switch. That schematic has the power to the lights running through the switch...shouldn't the power to the lights run off the relay?
    I'm gonna wire it so the lights will always come on with reverse but also so I can manually turn them on anytime I want. I'm gonna use the reverse signal to trigger the relay like you said (never thought of doing it that way) and hopefully find a relay that has two trigger connectors on it. This way it can be triggered either by reverse or manually by a switch. I was told not to run both a manual switch and the reverse switch into the same trigger for the relay because it will send power back up the reverse wire if triggered manually when not in reverse and could damage the reverse switch at the transmission. If I can't find the proper relay, then I can always use two relay's.

  5. #5
    Maybe I got ahead of myself.

    And Bounty-Hunter is right the switch is on the right side of the transmission. The voilet wire is the output from the switch. Either from here or it can be found inside the body as described in the drawing below.

    The first relay diagram was showwing an over ride switch so you could use the lights at night, say to hitch up a trailer or whatever.

    Although I wouldn't use a three position switch. I would have them in the auto position or on position. (SPDT switch) Also I would add a dash mounted light wired to come on in the manual on position to remind me that the backup lights are on. You could actually put one side of the manual switch between the fuse and post 87 and the other side of the switch to post 86 for your manual opperation.

    Here is the drawing I used. And the relay I got from Advanced Auto.


    mike aka: NiteDog
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

    95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed /99 XJ Panel Sport /96 XJ with Stuff
    07 XK 'Momma's Grocery Getter'

    "No 'Rice Burners' and no 'fart can' exhausts. 100% Jeep Family"

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteDog
    You could actually put one side of the manual switch between the fuse and post 87 and the other side of the switch to post 86 for your manual opperation.
    That's what I was going to do but I was told that by doing it this way, when the lights are switched on manually and not in reverse, it will send power back up the the reverse wire and could damage the reverse switch at the transmission. This is why I'm trying to find a relay with two trigger connectors on it. The relay will be able to be triggered by either the reverse switch or by a manual switch.

  7. #7
    I don't think you'd damage the reverse switch, but I'm no wiring genius either.

  8. #8

    RE: Time

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteDog
    You could actually put one side of the manual switch between the fuse and post 87 and the other side of the switch to post 86 for your manual opperation.
    That's what I was going to do but I was told that by doing it this way, when the lights are switched on manually and not in reverse, it will send power back up the the reverse wire and could damage the reverse switch at the transmission. This is why I'm trying to find a relay with two trigger connectors on it. The relay will be able to be triggered by either the reverse switch or by a manual switch.

    Ok, Look closely at the drawing with the manual switch... When the switch is in the "AUTO" position only the shifter can activate the RELAY. When the manual switch is in the "ON" position the transmission mounted switch is no longer apart of the circuit, and the RELAY is activated. :)


    mike
    mike aka: NiteDog
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

    95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed /99 XJ Panel Sport /96 XJ with Stuff
    07 XK 'Momma's Grocery Getter'

    "No 'Rice Burners' and no 'fart can' exhausts. 100% Jeep Family"

  9. #9

    Help Me Pick a Sig Pic

    Ok, I think I get where you are coming from. The three postion switch should have two power inputs into it and one output. One for constant power (battery), one for switched power (reverse) and one output to trigger the relay to turn on the lights. Never used a three postition switch before.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Ok, I think I get where you are coming from. The three postion switch should have two power inputs into it and one output. One for constant power (battery), one for switched power (reverse) and one output to trigger the relay to turn on the lights. Never used a three postition switch before.

    By George I think you have it! :) Well the switch is a little misrepresented.

    There are three conductors, but only two positions. The center post is the common device you want to redirect to one one side or the other. :) Known as SPDT ( single pole double throw).

    If you want to have the manual switch use the diagram below, I tried to make it a little clearer where things are comming from and I included the relay info. The relay is rated for 30amps try to get a toggle switch with the same rating for safety. :wink:

    Good Luck,
    mike

    mike aka: NiteDog
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

    95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed /99 XJ Panel Sport /96 XJ with Stuff
    07 XK 'Momma's Grocery Getter'

    "No 'Rice Burners' and no 'fart can' exhausts. 100% Jeep Family"

  11. #11

    RE: Gain 50hp and 72ft/lbs of torque with household items

    Yep, that's how I'm gonna do it. Thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in