Got me some rearend

LBR

Got me some rearend, it's a Dana 44 in a 67 CJ. Don't know what year it is, but it has 2 piece axles. The hubs are hurting at the key and keyway areas. 1) hardened hubs available? 2) one piece axles available? I've been an AMC 20 man up until this last quest, so am not well versed on this latest piece. (catchy subject line, eh?) LBR

RE: Does R.E. 4" YJ lift vibrate?

What are you going to be putting this in? Seems a '67 CJ axle would be awfully narrow.

It's the same width as the narrow track AMC20. It needs lots of updating, but will make a nice swap into a 76-81 CJ. I think it's got 19 spline tapered axles, which really sucks. The brakes are also small. The easiest thing to do would be to upgrade it to the later specs. The early-mid 70s CJs had the same D44 but with 30 spline flanged axles. You will need to remove the perches and weld on new ones for it to work in a 76 or newer.

It might have some good gears in it though. I think 4.27:1 was a common ratio in those.

It is in a 67 CJ, but wasn't sure if it was the stocker - Qtec does not show 2-piece axles for a 60's something D44 - I believe they show the 70-75, but the picture shows 1-piece axles - both hubs are twisting away from the key and both hubs are cracking in the keyway area - definately toast - possibly Qtec could have these parts if I was to ring them up? LBR

Re: TOP DOWN!!!

Wait a minute.......it's out of a 1967 CJ? It should have an offset differential that would have matched the offset output of the Spicer 18 Tcase that was used in 67. What are you planning on running this in?

That would be a good swap for a Quadratrac equipped 76-79 CJ7.

Weren't most Quadratrac Jeeps the offset D44 anyway? Or did they make an offset AMC20?

The buggies running offset diffs are sweet, tucking that diff up high behind a wheel allows you to really drag the center of the jeep over anything.

RE: rear shock/spring bound

Weren't most Quadratrac Jeeps the offset D44 anyway? Or did they make an offset AMC20?

Only the SJs. The Quadratrac CJs had an offset AMC20.

Yeah, I agree about the offset diff trend. I think it will become more common in everyday trail rigs now that the Orion Tcase is out. I'd LOVE to have a 3:1 geared Orion in my CJ feeding a set of offset D44s from a late 70s SJ. The only reason I wouldn't already be running an offset drivetrain in the CJ is the availability of a decent factory(cheap) offset rear output Tcase. Quadratrac is actually a decent setup, but has it's limits....and a Spicer18 is just plain hard to live with, kinda weak, and parts are hard to find these days.

RE: never again!!!maybe?

This rearend is in a turn-key 67 CJ....sounds like it is the factory rear since it does have the offset center-section....... noticed when I jacked it up and twisted the tire I heard a "clunk", hub and key is bad and the nut was loosened up because of the bad hub.......3.73:1 gears.......Dana 20 transfer.........Thanks Jay, will check that link you supplied LBR

Back