need help identifying a T-18

west747

FYI. Law in Florida says you can take the doors off.

a buddy of mine has a t-18 out of a 79 cj...how can i tell if it has the granny low gear of 6.?? instead of the 4.??.....thanks guys...

nobaody knows?? i know soem of you are running cj's.. :lol: :lol:

West, I may be mistaken, but I believe all the 79 model CJ T-18s were close ratio versions with the 4.xx first.

the one my buddy has is out of an 79 cj so i was hopeing that it might have the granny low...either way its better than the peugot transmission i got...does anybody know what the peugot transmission's first gear ratio is?

RE: Remington Mud Brute

I was wrong. I just checked a 79 factory service manual and it's a T18A.....with a 6.32 first gear!

Hell yeah...sweet...now what t-case can i use to match my ford diffs and will the stock bell housing fit my amc 258?

any info on mating a cj t-18 to an amc 258 would be great...also looking for some write-ups on flipping a 300 and mating it to a t-18.. :lol:

RE: Few Questions

A CJ T18 will bolt right up to the 258. What was it behind originally? The AMC V8 and I6s share the same bolt patterns.

The "Texas" style mounting flange for the Tcase is what's going to be the pain in your butt. The only drivers drop Tcase that pops into mind would be a Spicer20 from a first gen Bronco.....and I don't know if it would work.

The flipped D300 is a sweet setup. A D300 is just plain cool anyway, but being able to flip it and use it on the "wrong" side just makes it even cooler. If you go with the D300, a heavy duty output shaft is a must-have upgrade with a granny low transmission and 39" tires. They make kits to swap the D300 in place of the D20, but I don't know about the compatibilty with clocking rings and such.

The best bet would be to call Novak and ask for their opinion, chances are good that they have dealt with it.

sorry to bring this up again but can i use my existing bell housing and clutch from my 258 with this CJ T-18? i am pretty sure it came behind a 360....also how much would a flip kit cost for a 300 and would it bolt up to the t-18? i am picking up the t-18 with a dana 20 case bolted to it tommorw...maybe it would be easyier to keep the dana 20 case and go on the hunt for some chevy dana 60's? but i wanna make sure i can get the t-18 bolted up to my amc 258...thanks guys...

Back