97 TJ gas tank, soft top, and bed liner questions.

jcooper

I ran across a hint the other day that you could increase the capacity of the TJ gas tank by adjusting the fuel

pump assembly (making it hang about 4.5" lower in the tank) has anyone done this or know of better instructions somewhere? Google came up dry.

Has anyone tried the new sailcloth replace-a-top (besttop)? Is it worth the extra $200?

Lastly, I was looking at Rhinoliner for the bed of my jeep (it's always wet, muddy, or dinged for some reason) What type works the best? Which is the least expensive while still durable?

Thanks for your input!

Cooper.

[addsig]

Haven't "rhinolined" yet, still undecided. However, I have friends who have utilized Herculiner (two thick coats) applied with a roller with great results. Herculiner comes in three different colors: black, red, and grey. It was a two day project. The most time consuming was the prep work...they did the entire tub.[addsig]

I'd go with the Herculiner. I'm going to do the tub, wheel wells, and flares of my YJ when I go home for Thanksgiving break. -Mike
image-missing.png
[addsig]

There is a gas tank "conversion" that can be done on TJ's. It involves dropping the tank and cutting off the 2 tubes that are inside. It makes it a 19 gallon tank, instead of the 15 that most have. What you are talking about would only make the float sit lower in the tank, not actually increase capacity. Been there. Done that. Sailcloth is definately worth it. And go Herculiner (easier application).[addsig]

Well, Dropped the tank on my TJ last weekend. Pulled the fuel pump, and felt around inside the tank. Took a

knife and cut the tube without the ball as close to the wall as possible (Done from inside the tank). Worked like

a charm. Normally a fillup would be 11 to 12 gallons. I got 17 gallons in there (without topping off). So I

guess I cut the tube a little high... oh well. Usually had ~110 miles at half tank, now at ~215 miles. <evil grin>

Two hours and a knife. Saved $550 dollars ($300 for tank, $250 for the fuel pump assembly).

Thanks all for the info on the soft top and bedliner. I had seen some instructions on the net on using

POR-15 and then applying the Herculiner. Will go look at them again.

Cooper.[addsig]

Back