Soft Top and Doors

jeeper

Im new to jeeps and i was wondering if you had a soft top and doors, that it would be easier to break in by just unzipping the doors and top?

If you have a soft top and doors, there is nothing to stop anyone else from taking it off as easily as you do....

You can alarm it, though. But that isnt gonna do too much to stop someone who wants in, just like with a car. Your best idea is to take advantage of the spaces in your Jeep that lock, and not leave anything laying around that would tempt someone to bust in. Or you can get a locking storage kit for the "trunk" area.

Of course, this begs the question.... why would you want the top up in the first place?You'd be missing the half the point of having the Jeep.
image-missing.png

i work in an area that our vehicle are required to be secured when we leave them (Okay it's a prison). My solution use a locking center console that bolts to floor and place any valuables in it and lock it. I also use a bicycle cable type lock to secure the clutch and brake pedals to each other and then run it through the steering wheel.

I normaly have an island topper on it or I run it without the top.

GOD I LOVE MY JEEP! The joys of topless fun.

I feel it is best not to lock the Jeep and just leave the top off. Most people w/ out a Jeep do not realize they can just unzip the top to gte in, so they cut the thing. Now you have a whole in the top and they stole what ever they were after in the first place. Go buy a metal tool box fomr Wal Mart. $40. Drill 2 holes in the bottom and 2 in the floor of your Jeep. Bolt it down and put a pad lock on it. When the top is down it covers the box, if they do find it, i is locked and bolted.

[This message has been edited by O IIIIII O (edited July 05, 2001).]

Yeah, that's a problem with an open vehicle. You can't leave anything in it.

I have found you need to conceal everything.

I bought a backseat which has a lockbox underneath and provided alot of space for stuff.

I built a center console which has my stereo & cb concealed in a lockable compartment.

Jeep sells ADD-A-TRUNK which is a good item.

I keep a raggety looking radio hanging under the dash as a decoy.

The best practice tho is :

Out of sight, out of mind. So never leave anything in sight.

I live in a "not-so-friendly" part of town and I've found out the hard way that the best solution to this problem is not to leave anyting interesting unlocked, and as for the top, mine only goes on when it rains!!
If you're worried about the theft issue take your coil wire with you when you get home for the night.

Last weekend I had one of my seat covers stolen from my parking spot in front of my house. This was the cow print kind, and I've had them since '93. They took the drivers side one, but couldn't get all the hooks undone on the passenger side.

Some people. What's the guy going to do with one 8 year old seat cover?

Terry

Hey Terry
Sounds like you've got a prankster living in your area. That or the neighborhood kids are really bored.

rsvpepper

Back