Dana 35 diff.cover

BigDaddys88YJ

RE: WILLYS JEEP

What works for you guy's ? I have put on 2 gasket's on my diff. cover and both of them have leaked. should I just use RTV silicone or a better gasket material or both?

Stroking a 4.0

Did you use RTV on both sides of the new gaskets?

If so, did you let it set up good before putting the cover on and bolting it down?

RTV stands for Room Temperature Viscosity, which means it needs to sit for a little and get sort of "skinned" over before it will work.

I only used that RTV silicone on mine. no gasket. I put some on the dif cover only and let it set up before installing the cover back. Like 88wrangler said, let it "skinned". No leak since then.

If you aren't going to use a gasket, do it like YJTino said and put a bead on the cover and let it skin before installing it.

If you use a gasket, put a bead of RTV on the cover and a bead on the axle housing gasket surface, then let it skin and sandwich the gasket between the two. That's the only way I KNOW the gasket is going to seal......which makes the gasket kind of pointless.......which is why I don't use gaskets anymore.

the only real diff seal gaskets that actually work come in a tube

YJTino said:
I only used that RTV silicone on mine. no gasket. I put some on the dif cover only and let it set up before installing the cover back. Like 88wrangler said, let it "skinned". No leak since then.

Yeah...what they said....no gasket here

Back