Change dana or change differential ratio?

Enzo16

Have a 1991 wrangler V6, 4.0L and and gave it a 4" suspension lift and put on 35 tires?
I have not changed the ratio gears yet, I went to a mechanic and told me to change front and rear differentials and ration gears, pings and everthing else would cost me about $1,800.
just want to due the simple modifications myself!

RE: 5 Rubicon rims/tires, like new

Changing the ring and pinion gears is not really considered simple. It's relatively technical and requires some specialized equipment to do it right.

That price is steep, there are local mechanics around here that'll regear both axles for $800 to $1000.

Do you know what your current axle gear ratio is? It can be found on a metal tag attached to each differential cover, under one of the diff bolts. First three numbers of one of the lines. Likely 3 07, which is 3.07:1.

Just a heads up, the 4.0L is an I6, or inline 6.

Where ya from?

New Jersey, the prices are for performance parts I don't know it that make a big difference!
the rear reads 5206 3008
07 5502.

RE: Track bar bushing removel

Recheck that tag and see if there is a 3 before the 07 5502. That'll verify you have 3.07 gears.

if you can find axles out of a 4 cyl, it is a lot easier to swap the entire axles.. and can often be done at the same cost or even cheaper than a gear swap

Back