biggest tires I could run

prariepunk

I have a Dana 30 and Model 20 wideTrac set aside now (with a D60 in the works) but what size tire can I run with the two axles (D30/AMC20)

33's if you wheel it ...... 35's if its on the street and this is pushing it.....

however do you have 1 piece shafts in the 20??
And depends on your lift but why not just wait till the 60 is finished and swap a 44 in the front then you will be able to fit bigger tires instead of wasting money now and then needing new ones in the near future cause a 60 is a bit overkill for 33's

Re: RE: Re: join date

I knew a guy that had 44" Ground Hawgs on his CJ5 with 30/20 axles.

He only used it on the street and it did fine. He sold it to a guy who took it on a gravel road and very quickly desroyed the rear end.

RE: Standard & reverse cut Ring & Pinion

if you have the 1piece you could prlly run 35's and get away with it. But running stock. I would say 33's if you plan to wheel it. I too agree, to stay at the height your at now and save your money for bigger tires for that dana 60 of yours.

RE: Troubled but back in a Jeep

on gravel? how does that effect the rear end? i can see rocks, trails, & high torque situations but a gravel road? I got the D60 from "BuddiE-bay" :wink: and hope to pick it up soon! I wanna re-gear it, going lower (it's got 4.10 now) hope to get 4.88 or 5.38 but Standard or Reverse cut?

prariepunk said:
on gravel? how does that effect the rear end? i can see rocks, trails, & high torque situations but a gravel road?

I think he just used a little too much of the skinny pedal :lol: . And, I don't think it would take much for them to brake. I just thought it was funny....and I have no idea how much tire a 30/20 combo can normally handle "well".

RE: Which one

Like alot of issues regarding axle strength here, I disagree....a little

The AMC M20 has a bigger center section, carrier, and ring gear than a D44. The factory shafts aren't good for 31s, but moser makes high strength replacements. I'd put a set Moser 29 spline shafts against the factory 30 splines in a D44 anyday. That leaves the tube weakness as the only downside when compared to a D44, and a full truss will fix that. I'd take a modified AMC 20 anywhere I would take a D44, and I'll throw 38s on a D44 in a heartbeat. But it wouldn't be bulletproof by any means. I've got a M20 sitting in my storage building that was toting 39s at one time.....and it's still in one piece. Just for fun, I tried to blow up the one in my CJ7 before I swapped it out. It's still got the two-piece axles, and I couldn't break them. I gave up when I decided I would have to risk blowing the engine up to destroy the axle. I know if I had some slicks I could have pretzled it. It kind of sucked. I even gathered a little crowd to watch the carnage, then I'm sitting there with a built V8 and 36" Swampers......and I can't break a little AMC20.

With the CJ D30, I've had and seen others have good luck up to 36s if you keep it unlocked. I've seen several people with 38s mounted to them, but that's a little much. 33-35" locked, depending on what you're throwing at it. Just keep a close eye on those joints and replace them with the best you can afford AS SOON as they start to go out.

Ive got superior shafts in my 30 and my m20. Plus, I trussed the m20. I figure I can get away with 35's and still wheel it pretty hard. Got the front and rear locked. I got an advantage over those guys with dana 60's or any other big heavy axle. I got a stout axle and good clearance to boot!

RE: Which one

Exactly Sully, exactly. The ONLY real advantage a heavier axle has is it won't break as fast. Which isn't anything to laugh at, but if you can make lighter duty stuff live......YOU have all the advantages. More clearance, less wear and tear, better fuel economy, better accelleration, better braking.......

SenorCole86 said:
Ive got superior shafts in my 30 and my m20

Is that a brand name or just a word people use to describe one piece shafts? I need to put one pieces in soon and I've heard several people say that.

Superior is a brand.

Back