Motor Oil

Any non synthetic oil that gets changed every 3000 miles. Whatever viscosity was originally called for (10W30 or 10W40?)is what you should probably use.

RE: Just got a jet ski!

Yeah, I would like to hear why too. I run synthetic in everything I own.

The concern over synthetic in an old engine is valid. The thin synthetic finds every possible leak in the engine.
The AMC is also known for a less than great oiling system, and an even worse pump design. I'm not sure what the pressure situation at all oiling points would be with the thinner oil if you have excessive clearances. That's all kind of trivial though, and unlikely to be problem. I don't really know, just something I've wondered. If you want to try the synthetic......try it. It does make a difference in how the engine feels and runs.

I wouldn't run synthetic in anything else, like diffs--Tcase--or transmission, unless I was either rich or the Jeep never went offroad. It's a waste since you'll be(or should be) changing it so often.

I run Amsoil in every thing I own, motor oil, atf and gear oil you don't have to be rich I found that in my Ford diesel it's cheaper, it takes 4 reg.oil changes to 1 syn :lol: . and the truck has 170000 miles on it. Oh and if your motor leaks FIX THE DAMM THING!

New vehicle, go for synthetic if you want. Good stuff.

Old vehicle, don't do it... I'm warning ya... those gaskets that have been seated with organic oil will begin to react to the synthetic oil and cause leaks. Listen to the voice of TC and Junkpile.

Again, I'm talking motor oil and on a vehicle that has been run with regular oil for a good while. I think synthetic is good stuff, but I would still change it alot sooner than they recommend. It may not break down, but it'll still get dirty. Dirty oil = bad oil. This is why I never buy synthetic, I can't justify the cost since I would change my oil just as regularly as I do with organic oil.

Higher-mileage engines generally benefit from higher viscosity oils than what was originally suggested in the manual, right?

Back