Shock absorbers for a TJ

derrelw

RE: Re: RE: college

Hey guys what brand/model shocks do you run on your rig. How much lift do you have and what kind of wheeling do you do. Would you buy them again?
Thanks

RE: Re: RE: Which one

I have hackethorn (rough country) hydro shocks on my XJ and they are horrible. They were $100 for the set of four and were not worth the savings. Can't wait to replace them with some Edelbrock or Bilstien monotubes

RE: Great Vid.. its a flying ...?? Lawn..?? what?

I'm considering running some Rancho 9000 adjustables. They're $99 a pop, but from what I've heard they're worth it. Also, I have a 4" Skyjacker lift with the shocks that came with it (cheap) and they've got the rubber bushings. These things are squeaky as hell! I would suggest getting a set of shocks with the Polyurethane bushings. You'll also want to get the bar pin eliminators for the rear shocks atleast. These are solid round steel with solid square steel on each side to keep the shock on the center of the pin. If anyone has a lifted TJ and heard the strange clunking underneath this could be it. I did a search on Yahoo and heres the first one I clicked on. It shows a pretty good picture of broken original bar pins and the new replacements.

http://4x4icon.com/offroad/bar_pin_eliminator/

Yes the bar pins can be noisy, but I doubt you'll break one unless you bottom them out alot because your shocks are too long (or too short).

My rancho rs7000's are a bit rough on the street but great offroad. I think Rancho stopped making them, since I havn't been able to find them in stores, but I would say they are about as stiff as the 9-10 setting on the rs9000's. 3.5" overall lift.

Wrangler hardtops

I run either Doestch-Tech 3000's or Rusty's Offroad Hydro's. The DT3000's are the best riding shock I've found, they're about $30 each and have a lifetime warranty. They're a hydraulic shock and much smoother riding than gas charged shocks (Nitro's).

I wouldn't spend the cash on adjustible shocks, put some good smooth riding shocks on and forget about 'em. That's money best spent somewhere else.

RE: Wrangler hardtops

Bounty__Hunter said:
I run either Doestch-Tech 3000's or Rusty's Offroad Hydro's. The DT3000's are the best riding shock I've found, they're about $30 each and have a lifetime warranty. They're a hydraulic shock and much smoother riding than gas charged shocks (Nitro's).

I've got the DT 3000's as well. I really like them for the ride. They are a little soft but helped smooth out my AAL's. I'd definitely buy them again.

My wheeling is mostly on the beach or sand. My lift is about 3-1/2" total.

OOPS!!! My Bad, Mines a YJ not a TJ. I would suspect the shacks are the same thoough.

I got the rough county shocks that came with the hell creek kit ... I cant really complain .. Ive never been in a jeep with good shocks so I dont know much...
I do know they ride a lot better than the 2" lift and pro-comp shocks I had before the 4" hell creek lift...

I am running Rancho 9000's in the front and RE monotubes in the rear, seems to workfine with the 4.5 RE LA....lotsa Drop when discoed! Also adjustment actually works to some extent. :mrgreen:

I have front and rear Skyjacker Nitro shocks.. They were about 50 bucks a peice and they work well. Had to replace my old BDS shocks which were worn down bad.

I have front and rear Skyjacker Nitro shocks.. They were about 50 bucks a peice and they work well. Had to replace my old BDS shocks which were worn down bad.

Back