What's up with my ride????????????????

craigmpak

My Jeep is a 92 YJ 6cyl and drives like a tank!!! Ok, I know Jeeps ride rough but when I jump into my buddy's 95 YJ, it feels so much smoother. What can I look for? Is something out of whack? I've got disconnects on the front and it's the same with them on or off. Rear trac bar is also out.

Craig[addsig]

removing the rear track bar didn't help the ride.

Is your Jeep stock? other things to check would be the shackles, springs, and shocks.[addsig]

yeah tell us more about your jeep. is the ride rougher at higher speeds? does rough mean lots of vibrations, or like you feel every pebble in the road? [addsig]

Ok, I will try to describe this better. The Jeep handles fine, no problems there .... the ride is just harsh, as in hard on your back harsh. Every little bump is felt, like ANY little bump. It is rough even at low speeds...... almost like there's no suspension. The rear leafs are like new with a great ride height, the front however are sagging a little, but it is not on the bump stops. I get the same ride harshness in the front as the back. It drives the same with the sway bar and trac bar connected ...... tires are new and shocks seem fine as it doesn't bounce around at all. Tire pressure is on ... even a couple pounds low.

Craig

hope this helps[addsig]

who makes the shocks you have? Shock quality can have alot to do with this.

are the springs actually new or just "like new"? New springs take awhile to break in and can be stiff for a week or two.

Also check the shackles, and the bushings in the end of the springs. If the shackles aren't allowing the springs to lengthen and shorten as they compress that will give you a rough ride, if the rubber bushings are worn in the ends of the springs that will also provide a rough ride.[addsig]

Good point.... I'm going to take a look at the shackles, I didn't realize that they had to move, that has to be it since the springs aren't new. Shocks don't really do anything on the compression stroke, this is where it's the harshest.

Craig[addsig]

Disconnect one end of your front shocks and exercise them by hand, if it takes to much pressure to compress them, could be crud in the valving. I had one, I had to stand on to compress. Try the old jump six inches, on the front bumper and measure the rebound on your jeep (how the cops test shocks) and measure the rebound with a measuring tape and compare with your buddies. If you use a spray on the rubber bushings, remember many silicon sprays are not recommended for rubber. My 90 rides like if there weren´t springs in the seats, there wouldn´t be any springs at all. Maybe it´s just the nature of the beast.[addsig]

Back