rollbar to windshield frame mounting bolts

TomL

RE: Re: RE: Yippie. I got a new job.

94 Wrangler Sahara - There are 6 torx head mounting bolts. 3 per side. Can anyone give me specs or where to buy. The ones there now are not standard and are rusted.

If you are looking specifically for torx heads, I have never seen them in any hardware stores. But of course, if you want to replace them with normal hex head or allen head bolts, you should be able to find them at any hardware store.

go to a napa or carquest. dont go to an autozone or something like that, you dotn want cheap torx bits because they round off way too easy

RE: vehicles with 4.0 liter head??????

I would replace with a normal hex head to ease the installation!

By the way, I was referring to the bolts themselves, not the bits. After seeing the others' replies and re-reading your message, I am not sure which you are looking for. If you are looking for bits, make sure you buy some with a warranty.

Buy a quality Torx socket set for a 3/8" ratchet handle. Soak the bolts in Wd-40 (many say PB Blaster) overnight. Use a center punch and hammer and tap in the center of the bolt a few times on each one. That will help loosen up the rust grip. If they are countersunk then use the socket. If they have a head use the socket and vice grips simultaneously.
heating the area around the bolt with a propane torch will help but will scorch the paint.
As a last resort you can use adrill bit the same size as teh bolt shank. Drill through the head and it will fall of when you get to the shank. You can then remove the bracket and try to get teh shank out with mre WD 40 and some good vice grips.
Replace them with allen head screws and use a small amount of anti-seize on each bolt.
Good luck.
Sincerely,
The Master of Rusty Bolt Removal

Back