LED tail light conversion

jps4jeep

Super Moderator
I know somebody can give me a little help! I ran into a little issue with my LED tail conversion. I knew I was gonna need to get a HD flasher relay, but which one, the guy at autozone was less than helpful and unfortunately NAPA was closed by the time I got over there.

So....does any one have a part # to make my search just that much easier?

Also, before you put the relay in do you remember what the light did?
I have brake, and park, but when I hit the directional, all the park lights go out, just wondering if this is what should happen since the relay is stock?

I put the round led's in my YJ and for some reason 3 out of 4 jeeps blew the flasher. We just we just replaced the flasher with the cheapo and have'nt had a problem in over 2 years. There were only 2 choices reg or hvy duty and the hvy duty was 3-4 times more and not needed.

RE: Four wheel drive not engaging

jps4jeep said:
Also, before you put the relay in do you remember what the light did?
I have brake, and park, but when I hit the directional, all the park lights go out, just wondering if this is what should happen since the relay is stock?

Your parking lights should not be disabled during either flashing operation. The flashing should only occur in the brake light circuit. If it is cancelling the parking light you may want to recheck your wiring. A heavy duty flasher like those used for trailer towing should work. They should be cross referenced in their parts cat. (ie which is standard and which is hd).

Since I tow a utility trailer I had the hd flashers in before the coversion and didn't have to change.

I just checked mine it's a Tridon E 12-12v electronic. Works fine with my LED setup.

mike

plugs and wires

I don't have a part # for you but since I'm in Canada, they would probably have different part numbers at our Lordco's anyway. I just brought in my old flasher with me and they had one right away for me. The problem with your stock flasher is that it is an electrostatic flasher. The LED's don't draw enough amperage to trigger the electrostatic flasher causing your lights to flash. You need to replace it with an electronic one. Just ask Lordco for the same flasher but an electronic one and they should be able to find it for you. When I get a chance I'll see if I can find a part number for mine but I don't think it'll help.
I'm not sure but if I remember correctly, my markers also turned off with the old flasher because when triggered with the turn signal, they were stuck in "off" position of the flash.

Thanks Guys, I know I needed a HD relay. I don't want use resistors for a couple reasons. I really just needed the part number cause if it is not in the computer at autozone, they are rendered useless! Gonna try to hit up NAPA on the way home, why do all the good part stores close early?

in reference to nitedog, I typed that a little assbackwards When I hit the directional, and the park lights are on, just that directions park lights go out. I reconnected the factory housings back up and they worked no problem so it will be solved by either a HD flasher or new LED lights! hehe

Thanks guys!

I've got skull LED's with no mods to the electrical system. They work fine.
Where did I put that picture. The skulls are pimpin.

I got a couple of numbers for you. My flasher is an electronic flasher made by Tridon which I got from either Lordco or NAPA, can't remember. There are two numbers on my flasher. The first one is on top of the flasher which I think might be a patent number but it's the only one that's actually molded into the plastic. It's PAT3247402.
The second number is on the bottom of the flasher and is printed on with ink. This number is 21830. Although bought in Canada, they probably came out of a factory in the States. Hope this helps.
You don't need a HD flasher, just an electronic one unless it being electronic means it is HD.

all set, got it at napa yesturday, $8 not bad

Thanks

Back