Switching from a 95 D30 to a 91??

laneiac

RE: Re: 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited For Sale

Still running the stock 3:07's, and I have the opportunity to pick up a D30/35 combo with 4:10's (stock 4 cyl axles). I know that i have the larger u joint in the axle right now, but I really want to go to 4:10's. And seeing as I will probably be getting a different jeep in a year or so, this one is only going to see moderate wheeling. So, question is, should I put the 91 axle in even though it has the smaller u joint?

What size tires are you running?

You could always upgrade the yoke and U-joint to the bigger one....or go even bigger than that if you want. Only problem is then you'd need a new driveshaft.

Is it possible to get just the ring and pinions out of these axles?

If it were me, I'd get them if the price is good. Just maintain the u-joints if you leave the smaller ones in and they should be fine....assuming you're not running HUGE tires or doing a lot of rockcrawling (which I doubt...considering you live in Oregon!!!).

I'd go ahead and swap the axle. When(if) you break one of the smaller joints, just swap the shafts from your 95 D30 into that one. If you are selling the 95 axle......swap shafts before you do.

Oh, it's the u-joints on the axles that are smaller? I didn't know that

I thought you meant the one hooking up to the pinion on the driveshaft...

RE: Hello..........

Yeah, jeep changed from the 260x ujoint in the axles to the 297x in mid 95. I may just sell the 95 axles, and put TJ shafts and 297s in the 91 axle. I think that will hold 35's no problem.

I'd make the swap, and go ahead and swap the '95 front axleshafts into the '91 axles.

The D35 pinion yoke will be different sizes between those two axleshafts. You can swap the yokes and hope it doesn't mess up the crush sleeve (FSM covers this) or buy a jumper ujoint (fits two different size yokes, mating your driveshaft to the smaller '91 D35 yoke.

Back