I've got the Carb-blues...

Gig

RE: Hello..........

Well, it has probably been mentioned before, but, then again so has everything else.

So let the background story begin:

Started the jeep, went off driving for about, I would say 45 minutes. Everything was fine. Then when ever so often, the jeep would lurch forward, as if it just received some beans. Then would go away. Later on it got worse. I would be in 3rd gear and then the whole engine would stall. It got to the point where I was stuck on a back road, with my dad running off to a friends place. We checked everything. We took the fuel filter off to see if the fuel pump was still funtioning, (note to self, keep mouth closed, and bring gum next time.)fuel was fine. Finally after about half an hour, the other guy decided to put his hand over the opening of the carb. The jeep wouldn't start right off, but it finally fired up. I was able to make it all the way home with the air filter totally removed(including housing). and without taking my foot off the gas.

BTW, it's a '89 YJ, I6 2bbl Carter.(Yippie! :roll: ) Could dirt just have gotten inside, and a good cleaning is needed? Or is it worse? And yes, don't mention the webber... I will be changing as soon as I have enough funds... Thanks for your time

Gig

PS- I hope this all makes sense...

Eastern Shore Chaos

nobody knows?

RE: Re: Hello..........

dont ya just hate those darn gremlins!!!!! did you check the fuel filter? i've had problems b/4 when the filter would "pack up" and stall the motor - let it sit for a while, the pressure lets off a bit, the filter clears a bit and lets the engine fire - then the cycle repeats in a few miles - change out the filter - dbl check the carb, timing, well.. everything - change air and fuel filters and see what happens... - as for the carb... if youre gonna deep-6 the carter, check the motorcraft swap - less $$$ and good performance from what i've read - there are a few threads on here that can help if you do a search - hope i helped - (probably not but I try....) - good luck!

"Part Time" Light????

Thanks for the suggestions! I changed the fuel filter and air filter.. It helped. But I also took the whole carb apart. I can tell you, it needed it. There was some dirt in there and had plugged it all up. So, now I have fuel going through just fine. But now... I've got ANOTHER problem. My plugs won't fire. I have power to the coil, but after that, nothing. I think it could be that the wire from the coil to the dist. is burnt out. My dad says on his old pick-up, he changed everything but that wire, still no power. Then he finally changed it, and it started right up... Any suggestions?

Gig

PS- Thanks as well for the motorcraft idea. I'll check into it. 8)

There is a writeup in the How-to section of this site that will walk you through getting that Carter to run a little more reliably. The best fix is to can it though. I'm going to install a Motocraft 2150 in my '88 very soon.

RE: Dieseling on shut down

yea... check out the coil / dist wire - that was the gremlin that killed my stepsons 72 mustang - found out by jiggling EVERY wire under the hood - till i found it (a "shocking" experience.... sorry, had to go there...)

if all else fails, it could be the pickup in the base of your distributor - sometimes they will act very intermittantly and leave you stalled - my GM HEI did that trick to me 3 months ago. LBR

Back