Jeep won't idle right

GaryMB

RE: Axle Questions

My cj won't idle right. The timing and carb were all adjusted when I got it smogged, and over the past few weeks it has been idling funny and getting worse. It seems to rev a little, drop down in rpm, climb back up, and drop down. This goes on until it dies, usually at a stop light or after coasting to a stop. The carb is holly remanufactured. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Re: RE: Steering upgrades on your wrangler

Vacuum leak? Check the hoses for cracks or broken fittings?

RE: Very cold starting

I just soaked the venturi tubes in a bucket of carb cleaner for an hour and replaced the fuel filter. I'll trying starting it up tomorrow as soon as I finish the TFI upgrade, but I read in the tech section here that the venturi tubes can be drilled out to .032". Is this important, and where do you get a drill bit this size? If I still have problems after this I'll check for a vacuum leak...just thought the venturi tubes might be the culprit since I ran the jeep out of gas with 21 years worth of gunk in the tank (the gas gauge is broken, ok!).

Radiator question

Well I cleaned the carb venturies and did a tfi swap with a 48,000 volt coil. I have noticed a difference in regards to performance, but it still won't idle right! However, when I was screwing around under the hood I noticed that the idle was still irradic even with the idle adjusted to over 1,000 rpm. Sooooo.....time to look for a vacuum leak. I guess I'll just replace all the old cracked hoses that I resused when making it smog legal.

Re: How is that right?

I replaced the fuel filter and any and all questionable vacuum lines. The problem is still not solved. Now, occasionally the jeep will idle just fine at about 800 rpm, but it still usually just wavers around 500-700 rpm and dies. When it's cold it won't run for a second w/o me giving it gas. A friend said to check if the floats in the carb are set too low...any idea how to check/adjust them? Any other ideas?

Back