Very cold starting

griff

I got my cj home that I just bought. It's been in a garage and hasn't been started in over a year. How should I go about trying to start it without doing any major damage? Thanks for the help.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: How Many Here Have One Of These.....

I would check and change all the fluids in the vehicle first. Then, see if it will turn over. Make sure you have a good working battery and probably some jumper cables and another vehicle, cause it will probably take a while before it starts up and runs.

RE: Re: RE: "Sandwhich" or "Sammich"

Hi-Ya Griff,

Depending on how far you want to go with preventive measures:

(1.) Do what 88Wrangles wrote in his post.

(2.) Remove the sparkplugs and give each cylinder a shot of aerosol fogging oil. (Available at boating supply retailers.) After oil-fogging the cylinders and while the plugs are out, you might try turning the engine through a few revolutions by socket wrench on the crankshaft pulley nut or use the starter.

(3.) If you are comfortable with removing-replacing the distributor without losing engine ignition timing -- remove the distributor, then chuck a long cut-off screwdriver blade into an electric drill and use the drill to spin the Jeep engine oil pump for a while. (I don't know which engine you have, so this tip might or might not be applicable. If applicable, run the drill in the same direction as the direction of distributor rotation.)

(4.) Add fresh gasoline.

Steps 2 through 4 are probably unnecessary, but -- better safe than sorry.

Regards,

Gadget

RE: This woman is taking resourcefullness a little too far

Oh ya, forgot about the distributer.

The points on it could be corroded as well. you might have to take a flat screw driver or something similar to clean them off.

And, of course, fix anything that is obviously (visually) wrong before trying to start it.

I have an 80 Vette that has a completely built engine and the poor thing is completely ignored. It's only run once a year (should be more, but......) and I pull the distributer and chuck a screw driver end. Let it spin for a few minutes. My engine only has about 10 miles on it from about 6 years ago.

Never heard of fogging the upper cylinders but it sounds good. There are some kind of desiccant plugs around for the spark plug holes for condensate in the upper cylinders for storage.

Ritt wrote:

Never heard of fogging the upper cylinders but it sounds good. There are some kind of desiccant plugs around for the spark plug holes for condensate in the upper cylinders for storage.

Ritt, fogging oil is often used when preparing boat motors -- outboards and inboards -- for winter layup. Boats often overwinter in damp locations; hence, more extensive anti-corrosion measures are applied to boat engines than are typically applied to landlubberly engines.

Fogging oil is merely a very light oil (comes in an aerosol can) with anti-corrosion additives. It is typically sprayed into the carb throat of a running boat engine just as the engine starts to run rough and die after turning off the engine fuel supply. The objective is to coat the inside of the carb, manifold and cylinders, valve heads, pistons with the rust preventive fogging oil.

The fogging oil also provides initial short-term lubrication of the engine cylinders on start-up the following spring, which property is why I recommended that griff give each cylinder of his Jeep engine a blast of fogging oil.

One could, of course, just squirt a few drops of engine oil into each cylinder, but oil introduced into the cylinders in that manner will in all likelihood merely puddle rather than coat and lubricate the engine cylinder walls.

Regards,

Ancient Mariner Gadget

Re: RE: Re: RE: HELP!!! Need opinions from all Jeepz folks..

griff said:
I got my cj home that I just bought. It's been in a garage and hasn't been started in over a year. How should I go about trying to start it without doing any major damage? Thanks for the help.

1. Fresh battery or jump from a good one

2. Check oil in cranckcase and make sure it is okay.

3. Pour 1/3 cup of gas down the carb throat, leave ari cleaner assembly off.

4. Turn over a few times but do not start.

5. Let set about 2 minutes or so, and start again.

6. If it sputters, but won't fire, a little more fuel down the carb.

7. About now, it should start.

Good luck.

Back