Tie rod woahs

Sully

RE: BFG All Terrain T/A KO - Black out or White out?

I am rushing to get the jeep back together for the end of the month run. Well I forgot about my bent tie rod and I was wondering. Do you guys think I should run my bent tie rod, or do you guys think it will fail on the trail?
MVC272S-4.jpg

straighten it out as best as you can then weld some angle iron to it.

Black Soft Top fs

I think you should do whatever it takes to bring ya back safe, Sully. Heat, BFH, maybe even new tie rod(?).......whatever, just come back safe and sound.

RE: $503 Million in Trail Funding at Stake – Write your Sena

Straigten it and then sleeve it with some dom tubing. Wheeling the way it is is asking for trouble.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: "Sandwhich" or "Sammich&a

I think that pitman arm needs attention before the tie rod :wink:

RE: Neutral Safety Switch

GET A NEW ONE

Sully, I was out last weekend, and there was a 85 CJ with us, he had too bent his tie rod on a previous trip and went for the cheap strainght and fix (wich is good to get you off the trail but should not be a perminent fix) well, long story longer.... we were doing this nasty desent were tire placement is everything and his cj stalled cause of the angle, kind lost control, hit a rock.. stump.. rock...rock then another rock.

his tie rod was in worse shape than before, after hitting the forst rock, the angle iron violently was ripped off, and bent the tie rod even worse, then after that it was all down hill.. Took us about four hours of towing, 4 straightening jobs with a tj bottle jack and a mini sledge to get him off the trail back to the road!

My advice, Since factory Tie Rods on CJ's are not known for there rigidity..Find a good machine shop, buy some 1.75" DOM tubing, have them machine the ends and thread to accept your tie rod ends or weld in a threaded insert, then have a new drag link made up and have them both connect to the spindle on the passengers side with heim joints.

Bullet proof!

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: HELP!!! Need opinions from all Jeepz fol

I'd just make/get a new one. It will be more worthwile in the long run.

Then, maybe later, look into crossover steering so you can change the way that pitman arm is (and have better steering period). And, at the same time, look into some hi-steer arms so you won't bend the tie-rod like that again.

Sully, what side is your steering wheel on? Is the picture backwards or is it really on the wrong side?

And, does your pitman arm hit your license plate ever? It sure looks like it would.....which is kind of wierd.

RE: Hard top for sale

88Wrangles said:
Sully, what side is your steering wheel on? Is the picture backwards or is it really on the wrong side?

And, does your pitman arm hit your license plate ever? It sure looks like it would.....which is kind of wierd.

Yea my steering box is out to get rebuilt so my pitman arm is hanging as far out of the way as possible.

Sully, I think you know the right answer, but I'll say it anyway...

It could and will fail if you hit it right (which won't take much). Do yourself and your wheelin' buddies a favor and replace it first - even if it's just one from a junkyard to get you back on the road if you are on a tight budget. I would take a good look at the tie rod ends too. They shouldn't be expensive and you might as well replace them while you're at it. Maybe keep the old ones as trail spares?

possible helpful link:

http://www.tellico4x4.com/catalog/p.../8232?osCsid=840390523128d59c324dfb0f61b22915

RE: Re: Recovery Points

I found the cheapest tie rod ends around at jeepdoc.com. I have bought alot of parts through them for my project and they are always the cheapest and fastest, and they are very helpful.

Thanks guys, I think I am going to replace it before the run. I would sleeve it, but it's so bent that I dont think it's worth it to keep running that broken junk. Once I bend it back. The metal will be softer and easier to bend. With that in mind. I am going to try and get a new one and some ends too.

Re: RE: If you promise not to tell....

ya, I think that's the best choice!

haha, I thought that would be an odd angle for a pitman arm....good to hear it's not hooked up like that!!! (of course I've seen worse...sadly)

Back