CJ 7 Track Bar Problem Help !

chazgin

After many seasons of 4 wheeling I noticed that my CJ had a vicious front end shake.

I got underneath and saw that the bracket (passenger side) where the track bar

mounts to the frame was loose. Closer inspection showed that all three bolts (two

from the bottom and one from the side) had loosened enough to let the bracket drop

3/8" or so from the frame. How do you tighten this up? There seems no way to get a

wrench in to hold the nut on the inside of the frame while you tighten the bolt ! Am I

missing something here or is there another way to do this?

Got name wrong, book calls it sway or stabilizer bar

RE: WHat

Not sure what you have or what it looks like, but most suspension nuts that are unreachable by a wrench have a "handle" welded to them that you can use to hold them in place when you start the bolt and keep the nut from spinning while you tighten it.

post up a pic.

A couple of mine were spinning. I tried every trick I could think of to remove them other than drilling the side of the frame rail to access the nut. I wasn't planning on running a stabilizer so I just cut the head off and ground the bolt down flush with the frame. Now, I'm planning on running either a thinner stabilizer or a modified original and need those brackets on there :x .

That's probably not your problem though. Check your steering linkages, bushings, ball joints, and the tightness of all suspension related hardware.

check the front wheel bearings also. worn bearings may cause the front end to shake or wobble.
od

Back