Which frame is better to repair?

sjo426

I am going to replace my old rusted out frame on my 78 CJ7. I have two frames to choose from. One frame has a crack about 4 inches long right at the passenger side front shackle mount. The other frame has some rot about 2 inches by 4 inches right in front on the passenger rear wheel.
My question is it easier to weld up a crack a rotted out portion.
Thanks

I'd say the cracked one. Then just box in about 10 inches or so of the frame in that area and it should be fine.

The rotted one would require you to cut out a piece to fit the rotted are you took out....which would be a little more work.

Which one is straighter? Break out a CJ FSM and get all the chassis measurements out of it, and then measure both frames at all critical points.

Trust me.....you don't want to put time in a frame that isn't worth it. If both frames are otherwise sound, I'd probably fix the cracked one.

You have to be careful with those flexy CJ frames. The best approach is to fix the crack or hole with as little extra "beefing" as possible to the area. I went overboard on a steering box mount repair and ended up battling stress cracks all around my repair. If the frame flexes and the repaired area doesn't, it will put alot of stress on the point where the two meet.

Thanks for the info guys. I have a feeling this will be quite a learning experience!!

Back