Jeep defect questions

Mymansjeep

Re: RE: Re: RE: 15x7 Jeep wheels

I am trying to find a site that gives information on defects and flaws that were in past jeep models.
My fiancee is trying to buy a used jeep to "fix up" and asked me to find this information before he buys. :?
Any information or recommendations will be GREATLY appreciated! :D

Re: RE: New Pope

It really depends on what he's looking at/interested in.

If he goes with a 80's CJ he's going to be dealing with body work and carburetor work.

If he's looking for a minimal amount of work to be done I'd suggest a 91 or later YJ (Wrangler) with a 6 cylinder as these are fuel injected and generally have less problems.

It's really a matter of preference and there's an abundance of information available by doing a simple search and putting a little time into the decision.

Oh, and let him know that we'll be here for him as he stumbles down the Jeep path. Welcome aboard.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Check out this Wrangler on Ebay

:D This is a great site that you sent me to, graewulf. I appreciate the ideas and support too, firemanharry.
He is looking for something with a hard top, 4 wheel drive, that he can fix up and go ANYWHERE in. He is the outdoors type that loves to be able to get off the main drag and keep on trucking. I think he will end up working on this with his 16 yo son, but doesn't want to put a TON of money into it since the boy will probably end up wearing it out. :lol:

The most notable defect in Jeeps occurs in the late '80s / early 90's. Due to a production mishap, every single one of them has square headlights. I think it's '87 to '95. :lol:

OK, seriously, it really does depend on what he's looking to do with the Jeep and how "old" he's looking for. If you're talking ~20 yrs old, you want to stick to 1982+ because of the wider axels = more stability. If you're talking ~10 yrs old, the predominant change was fuel injection in '91. If you're talking only a couple years old to "build up", stick above '98 for the pass airbag defeat switch and below '01 for the cool pull-out headlight knobs. Basically, different generes of SWBs have different pros / cons.

To my knowledge, there has not been a vehicle wide recall demeaning any particular year unsafe or more troublesome than another. Again "troublesome" is certainly a matter of opinion. Lots of good people here, though... and even more good knowledge. Most of us will be willing to keep helping throughout the decision process. Keep us up to date and we'll keep you informed. Good luck!

-X

PS. You posted while I was typing... If you're dead set on a hardtop, and not planning on a lot of money (boy will that statement make you laugh in about 6 months) steer more towards the CJ7 or YJ. CJ5's and earlier model Jeeps aren't readily available with Hardtops. Not that one can't be found, but it'll be a search... much easier to stick with the CJ7 or YJ. TJ's (97+) will probably be out of the price range. You'll probably find a CJ cheaper than a YJ, but it will need a little more repairing. A YJ would be more $$$ (newer) up front, but should need less "fixing".

I spoke with him just now and he said a hard top was not necessary, just preferred. He wants something to go offroad with as he likes to hunt, cross streams, climb hills etc. He knows he will have to put a bit more into it than he would like, but thinks the fixing up process will be good and fun for him and his son. He is looking for something 80's or 90's. He was thinking of either a CJ7 or a Cherokee, but someone had said that there was a bad year or so with the Cherokee, hence my search. Any recommendations? As you can see, I know absolutely nothing about Jeeps...looks like it is time to learn!

RE: road rage wrecked my DD today....

I bought my 1894 cj7 for either $1200 or $1300; I forget exactly how much. Basically it was cheap b/c the smog equipment had been removed (which=pita to get smogged, and illegal to sell for street use in california), but I did it for about $300 in used smog equipment from jeeps that were parted out. In addition, I put in about $600 more for miscleaneous parts and repairs, which included but were not limited to, all new fluids, new carburetor (was free; I've been lucky enough to be given two rebuilt carburetors since I bought the jeep), engine mount, spring hanger, ignition, wheel bearings, engine fan, etc, etc. Mainly the work was all relatively minor/medium, and for about $2,000 and a couple months in the garage I have a strong running cj7 that WILL go ANYWHERE offroad and get me home on the highway just fine. It did already come with big offroad tires, a locking differential, and lift when I bought it, though...these would run up the cost quite a bit if purchased sepparately.

GaryMB said:
I bought my 1894 cj7 for either $1200 or $1300; I forget exactly how much.

Boy, I knew they've been making Jeeps for a long time...but wow!

Oh, there was a defect for a while where by they accidentally put square headlights on them. Thankfully they got that worked out. :wink:

mine has square headlights ... :?

Attachments

• wrangler_417.jpg
    wrangler_417.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 223

for robrt-stephens

mine has square headlights ...

Dawnie, I know that was a horrible realization. I'm sorry, if there is anything I can do......just let me know. Just know that all of us at Jeepz are here for you during this trying time. There are several other members here suffering with carheadlightitis, just like you, and with proper medication they function almost normally. :wink:

Axle swap

Junkpile said:

Dawnie, I know that was a horrible realization. I'm sorry, if there is anything I can do......just let me know. Just know that all of us at Jeepz are here for you during this trying time. There are several other members here suffering with carheadlightitis, just like you, and with proper medication they function almost normally. :wink:

Yes but unfortunately, many more are suffering double with cardashboarditis and carcoilspringitis...... :twisted:

RE: for robrt-stephens

truth be told Dawnie, you are among the elite Jeep owners that know the real truth:

REAL JEEPS HAVE SQUARE HEADLIGHTS.

Don't be dismayed by the star-gazed TJ owners, the holdout CJ owners, or anyone else. You own a Jeep that is truly cream of the crop ;)

Re: RE: Re: for robrt-stephens

TwistedCopper said:
truth be told Dawnie, you are among the elite Jeep owners that know the real truth:

Don't be dismayed by the star-gazed TJ owners, the holdout CJ owners, or anyone else. You own a Jeep that is truly cream of the crop ;)

Oh, that was so eloquently stated.....almost brought a tear to my eye! :wink:

RE: Vacuum leak

TwistedCopper said:

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :wink: AFTER LOOKING AROUND i THOUGHT TO MYSELF .. OOOOOOOOOOOOO UNIQUE then .. this will work ! Hey I love my jeep no matter what we are in it for life now

Sparky-Watts said:
Junkpile said:

Yes but unfortunately, many more are suffering double with cardashboarditis and carcoilspringitis...... :twisted:

Actually, TJcoilspringitis (sorry to correct you, Sparky) is not so bad. However TJdashboarditis, caused by TJairbagitis, really sucks! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And mymansjeep, there are no defects or flaws in Jeeps - for those of us predisposed to Jeep ownership. However, they are just machines, built on an assembly line. If that one guy's having a bad day......................???? Welcome aboard and hope you and yourman stick around.

Tire size for BDS lift.

If you're planning on getting a TJ, there was an article in JP magazine disussing exactly this. Go to a Wal-Mart of Barnes and Noble and pick one up. I have a CJ, but I read it anyway and liked it.

RE: Even Jeeperz can appreciate these!

"Actually, TJcoilspringitis (sorry to correct you, Sparky) is not so bad. However TJdashboarditis, caused by TJairbagitis, really sucks!"

I would have to agree! Airbagitis has been cramping my style for some time now, I have looked into having it removed...... but they say it would leave a gaping scar... what to do what to do??? :cry:

RE: whats wrong?

TwistedCopper said:

:shock: :roll: :lol:

Back