Center dashboard shroud on TJ

WarthogExplorer

Can anyone tell me how to get the shroud off from around my stereo and climate controls? Are there screws under the dash somewhere? Thanks for the help!

Dave
2001 TJ Sport

Well, in my '98 there is a screw inside the ashtray area, and at least one more under that rubber tray on top of the dash...

On my 04, you remove the piece on top of the dash behind the rubber tray. It's the one that also goes around the VIN number. If you can get your fingers on it, just pull it up and off. This will reveal a couple (i think 2) screws that you remove, then just pull the surround off. If that's not right or you need more info I can look it up in the FSM when I have more time.

Man, I did this 7 thousand times on my 98. It's the same. It's a combo of the two above posts. First, the trim butted agains the winsheild pulls straight up, no screws. That will reveal two screws to remove (10mm if memory serves me correctly). Pull the ash tray out and remove the third, and final screw which will be the same size. Finally, pull the whole shroud straight back towards the passenger area.

The defroster trim will come out easily, but the first time you pull the shroud, it will be difficult... so be patient and pull straight.

-X

PS-It might have only been 6,891 times, but you get the point.

Thanks everyone for the help! I knew there had to be some screws I didn't see in there somewhere. I'll give it a shot the first day I have off.

I hated doing this cuz I got so pissed I wanted to break it off. The ones by the windshield got me.

Misconceptions you had as a kid

WarthogExplorer said:
Can anyone tell me how to get the shroud off from around my stereo and climate controls? Are there screws under the dash somewhere? Thanks for the help!

Dave
2001 TJ Sport

Climate controls? In a Jeep? Where the Hell have I been?

firemanharry said:
WarthogExplorer said:

Dave
2001 TJ Sport

Climate controls? In a Jeep? Where the Hell have I been?

Maybe they meant the windows and top?

Back