What model transmission in my 98 TJ?

SJA

Canadian Offroad Events 2005

I have a 98 Wrangler Sahara and just changed the drivetrain fluids. Funny thing is, the fill and drain holes in my 5 speed dont match anything i've seen in the manuals and books I have. The fill is approx. middle-side of transmission on Drivers side, and the drain is approx. middle/bottom and the plug faces the Passenger side, not down towards the ground. It took over 3 qts to fill.
From what I understand, there are 2 transmissions for the 4.0L I6 engine-the AX15 and the NV3550....right?? Any insight on this? Thanks!

Are you sure you removed the drain plug? There are other plugs on the transmission besides the fill and drain, many labeled "Do not remove".

You should have an AX15 and the drain plug should look the same as the fill plug, and be in the center of the bottom.

Thanks for the reply.

I took out (what I thought was) the Fill first to verify, and it was filled to the bottom of the hole. The Drain is the same plug size as the fill (fairly large diam bolt head (cant remember the size socket-3/4" maybe?), but a 'thin' head meaning there was not much material for the socket to grab on to) and when I removed it the fluid gushed out...and it was gear oil. Again, this plug faces sideways (passenger side) not downwards.
There were no labels anywhere that said do not remove. They were the only plugs I could find. The bottom of the transmission is not flat (and no flat spots with plugs), except for maybe a small section towards the rear that is covered by the large kick/cover plate under the vehicle -where it attaches to the transfer case. But no plugs there. The only plugs on the passenger side on the 'side' of the transmission were 3 little torx plugs in a vertical row towards the rear top of the transmission. There is also a sensor with a wire leading from it in the same area.
I checked this link and the transmission in my TJ doesnt look like any of them. Maybe there is a different model transmission in there from the factory? Really confused!

Attachments

• ax5.jpg
    ax5.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 4,463
  • ax15.jpg
    ax15.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 9,082

RE: Even Jeeperz can appreciate these!

Good suggestion. I just checked my plate. Trans-DDQ, Engine-ERH. Geez. I checked this link (http://www.thegrecos.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=39&Itemid=49) and you would think I'de have an AX-15.....they coupled the AX5 on I6 models? So I paid extra for the Sahara and got the smaller trans. Now i'm even more confused....and a little pissed. I thought they were only used in the 4 cylinders. I guess I got a leftover?
I found this link ( http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/fluids-1.htm) and it is exactly what I have, but it is referred to as an AX-15.

What gives??

RE: CJ Bumpsteer problem

I think the early 98s were different than the later 98's. Probably cleaning up left over parts from the 97s ;-)
Sahara was a trim package - more about dress up stuff like painted flares and seat options. There is also a heavy duty suspension/towing package that I got on mine. It included the dana44.

Live and learn, right?

Wet top

Yep. Ive been reseaching this on the internet and so far the general consensus is that the AX5 wont work with the I6...cant handle the power. Mine is 7 years/51,000 and no problems.... ???
I'll research some more and post any findings. Thanks!

RE: 90 Stock tran

AX5 is behind the 2.5L 4cyl, and the AX15 is behind the 4.2L and 4.0L 6cyl engines. Only exception I know of is the AX15 behind the 2.5L in Dodge Dakota trucks.

You should have an AX15.

RE: Light Problems

I contacted a dealer and also daimler-chrysler about the build sheet for my TJ. The general consensus it that the 'DDQ' build code is for a '5-speed manual transmission', not a particular model of 5 speed. After viewing pics of the fill plug on both I've concluded that it must be an AX-15. The fill on the AX5 is a round extrusion from the drivers side case, and the fill on the AX-15 is an oblong extrusion that kind of looks like a small pad. Without a doubt though, the info leads to confusion as to where the drain and fills are on these units. Thanks all!

Back