oil drain plug

djc321

RE: Re: More stupid people in Salisbury

My cj7 has a slow leak from the bolt that plugs the oil from draining out the pan and I was wondering if there is a way to fix this? I also have a stripped bolt on the bell housing on the trani that leaks and was wondering if there was a quick fix for this too??? Thanks in advance for any help

put some RTV around the oil plug when you put it back in. Just make sure that none gets into the oil pan itself (don't put on or near end of bolt).

On the bell housing, is it the threads that are stripped....or the head of the bolt? If it's the threads, you'll have to re-thread the hole and get a new bolt either way.

RE: Wanted: 94 YJ Power Steering Stuff

nakedjeeper said:
Put a fumoto valve or other in the oil pan so you never have to remove it.
www.fumotovalve.com

Interesting...do you use one? I've been considering the Fram drain system that uses a hose that inserts into the plug, but haven't done it yet. I think I'd like this one better.

My concern is with mud and road grime getting on it and clogging the mechanism (lever) on the outside....

RE: Re: RE: Custom Built YJ

I have the fumotovalve on my Jeep and so far so good. It hasn't gotten smashed on rocks. Not much risk of being clogged by mud here in the southwest. The lever moves really smooth. Oil drains a little slow, but that would be the only complaint.

RE: Is it me or...

still make a mess changing the filter.. but thats not so bad

i would be afraid to damage it too

the fram dealy was going for 3 bucks at autozone one time.. I missed out on it... it does help a lot

Snitty said:
still make a mess changing the filter..

Not near as bad as a Camry. On my '99 and Sunshine's '97, the filter is right out in front of the engine, real easy to get to, but it's pointed upside down, right over the exhaust manifold. There's no way to take it off without pouring oil all over the front of the engine block......

Thinkin' I'll just have to get me one of those mofo...er, umm...fumoto valves...

Those Fumoto things do look pretty sweet. Maybe you could build some kind of little guard for it if it was in real danger of being injured.

Just hose it off first if it gets covered in mud and lubricate it real good and I think it would be fine.

88Wrangles said:
Those Fumoto things do look pretty sweet. Maybe you could build some kind of little guard for it if it was in real danger of being injured.

Just hose it off first if it gets covered in mud and lubricate it real good and I think it would be fine.

I bet you cound find a rubber cover for it at the local Home Depot.

nakedjeeper said:
88Wrangles said:

I bet you cound find a rubber cover for it at the local Home Depot.

Or in the men's room of the local Phillips 66 station......

Back