stock suspension what tires?

Tim90yj

hey, this is my first post and my first car. Im 16 and got a 1990 jeep wrangler yj for 500$ off of a friend. It is looking good but needs new tires. I dont want to keep the 23's on it and im not looking to upgrade rimm size. What size tire can i put on 15 in rims that will still fit with stock suspension?
thanks

Depending on the backspacing of your rims, I believe you can fit up to 30x9.50 or maybe 31x10.50 on a YJ.

Nathan

RE: Re: RE: Custom Built YJ

So if i get 30's it wont rub offroad and it will still be able to turn and such?

It might still rub on the leaf springs when you turn fully....with the stock wheels, depending on what their backspacing is.

As far as hitting the fenders though...you should be alright with 30's. Like Laniac said, 31's will hit the fenders a little while off-road.

And your stock tires were 23"?? That seems really tiny.

Oh, and welcome to Jeepz.com!!!

Yeah, it came with 23's on 15 inch rims. Now, the suprising thing is taht they werent even stock...it has 120,000 miles on it...the tires were changed from 22's to 23's at some point becasue teh manual says 22. But yeah thanks for your help, i would love to slap a set of 30 inch BFG All--terrain T/A's on there. My dad is also getting them for his 4runner

I cant imagine it came with 22" tires... I thought stock was 28". But maybe I am wrong. Are the wheels stock width, or are they 15x8's? If they are 15x8's with the proper backspacing you wont have any steering problems. If you do have steering problems, just adjust the steering stops. Very easy to do.

Mom takes kids for first swim of 2005!

I just checked my tires and it says that its 23 tire, 15 rim , and then there is a 10.5....im assuming thats the width?

Some one put smaller tires on that YJ. Stock is 28" on a 15X7 wheel. 30 x 9.50 will work fine on the stock suspension. That's what I am running on my YJ. Had no issues on the stock set up, now they look a little small with the 4" lift. :eek:

Good luck and welcome to the site.

mike

RE: Calico 4/30/05 - 5/1/05

Look for the actual tire size, it should be something like 225x75R15 or something like that. That size would be around 28".

If you have stock wheels, and they are the 6" variety, you will want to go no bigger then 235x75x15 tires (29"). any bigger and the tires will rub the leaf springs when turning. (these skinny wheels are really too narrow for anything else anyhow)
6" wheels look like these:
image-missing.png

If they are the 7" wheels then you are okay up to a 30x9.50x15 (30" tire). 31's will rub the wheel wells when offroad. Every other stock Jeep steel or alloy wheel was a 15X7 in 1990, unless they offered a 15x8, but that would definately be alloy.

A small lift of any kind and you'll be able to fit 31's.

If you have the 6" wheels pictured above, I'd wait until you can afford some wider wheels. Try Quadratec for their Cragar "Soft 8" wheels, the 15x7 and 15x8's are really inexpensive ;) I have a set on my Cherokee.

Re: RE: Ive searched for answers to spring over axle and can

Yup, like TC said, the Cragar "Soft 8's" are around $28 per wheel. That's what I'm running, too. I put 31's on my aluminum alloy stock wheels, and rubbed the leafs at full lock, so I adjusted the steering stops: http://www.imajeep.com/Steering_Stop_Adjust/adjusting_steering_stop.htm . Then I got the Cragar's and could put the stops back to stock. My tires rub the flares just a tad at full (stock) flex, but not enough to be any problem. In fact, I was just noticing yesterday that they've already rubbed about a quarter inch notch in the flares and barely touch them at all now, and the notch is hardly noticeable at all.....get the Cragars and 31's, and don't worry at all about the flare rub....

Back