New to the Jeep World, Have some Questions

Pauly420

RE: Do you read or like JP Magazine?

Hello everyone i just bought a new 2005 Jeep Wrangler X Edition and im looking to raise it up to fit some bigger tires. Im looking to buy a procomp suspension lift of 4" and the description said to use 33" tires. Im just curious what size rims i need to get, wheres a cheap place to get these tires, and if theres anything else ill have to do to make them fit.

All im looking to get out of this is a little more clerance and definately some wider/bigger tires, the stock ones are way too skinny. Im a moderate off-roader and dont want to comprimise the ride for a part-time weekend warrior hobby.

Thanks for any help/links/info...Much appreciated.

RE: Torque

For 33's you dont have to get a 4" lift. A 2.5" to 3" will work. If you go with a 4" your going to have driveline vibes, that will require the use of a SYE and CV shaft. Do a 3", and get 15x8 wheels to run 33x12.5 tires. What kind of tires do you want? Cheapo all terrains, mud terrains, Swampers? Goodyears?

RE: Do you read or like JP Magazine?

For 33x12.5x15 tires, a 15x8 wheel should do just fine. If you want something cheap, then you might want to look into Cragar Soft 8 wheels by Quadratec, Rock Crawler wheels (I think they are model 44? or 48?) by ProComp, and I think American Racing Wheels has some cheap ones too...they all should be in the ballpark of about $40 each for a 15x8 wheel. Also, if you havn't made up your mind on tires yet...bfg all-terrains are a great all-around tire that will not hurt street performance like a mud tire or swamper will. America's Tires is a good place to buy tires locally, though it may not be the cheapest place to buy rims. www.Tirerack.com has some cheap tires if you want to have them shipped freight, and www.4wheelparts.com usually has some good specials on tires and has good prices on rims.

I agree about those bfg all terrains. if you are not going to do any serious off roading those are great tires. ive had them on 2 of my vehicles. If you want mud terrains, Pro Comps are great for the money.
15x8 wheel with 33's are a very common setup. As far as the lift goes, I put the 4" standard Superlift on my TJ and I dont have any vibrations. Plenty of room for 33's. Good luck!

Well im just looking for some tires that are wider and have good traction for the moderate off roader. I dont live in a swamp or anything. The most i ever drive through is some thick field mud (not a whole lot of ruts) and rocky trails to get to some fishing holes. Thanks for the replies and ill look at the links you guys provided. I just cant stand the stock tire setup/ground clearance atm. Not out to spend a ton of money either, but dont want to ruin my brand new jeep by going cheap (like a body lift).

RE: CJ7 VS. TJ Wrangler

Im a moderate off-roader and dont want to comprimise the ride for a part-time weekend warrior hobby.

Then you want a wider wheel than 8". People wil try to sell you on 8" wheels because they let you drop the air pressure in the tires another 5psi before you start popping beads when offroading. It doesn't sound like that is your main concern......or is it? If not, you will be happier with a 9-10" wide wheel. The tread on those 33x12.5 tires is about 10". By matching rim width to tread width, you will be able to run a higher pressure in order to achieve a proper footprint. The higher running pressure is going to translate in to better handling and mileage because of reduced tread squirm and sidewall stability. That in turn will allow the tire to run cooler which increases tread life.

And how would a body lift "ruin" your Jeep?

Re: RE: Re: RE: off road today

I completely agree with you 100% about the wheels Junkpile, but also keep in mind that the wheels will then be more suseptable (sp?) to damage with them sticking out further. But, If it's just moderate off-roading, that 'most likely' will not be a concern for him.

It also depends on the type of wheeling. I think alot of people assume everyone is a rockcrawler. The wider wheels are better all around in the mud and sand, and there's no question which is better on the street. You really won't go wrong either way with 33s though.

Ive actually decided to go with 15x8 cragar 397 soft 8 black rims, 33x12.5x BF goodrich AT T/A tires, and the pro comp 4" stage I lift. I got the special edition with camo seats and mossy oak green exterior so the black rims will make it look pretty tough.

Any advice on cheapest place to find the lift kit?

Re: I need a wrangler real bad,anyone close to dalton ga

I am actually running that exact setup, except with a hockey puck body lift. The Procomp lift is pretty rough, not too bad, but you can definatley feel everything in the road. I am running Pro Comp M/T's, 33X12.5R15, with American Racing 15's. I love my setup. The procomp lift in combination with some discos has outflexed and outperformed some of my friends lifts from other companys, but i would reccomend going with the Stage II, as you will want teh pitman arm in the end.

RE: 4wd lever issues

stay away from pro comp, please? pretty please? rubicon express, BDS, skyjacker even? just not procomp or rough country.

RE: Hey Gang!

Wheres a good place to find the rubicon express, BDS lifts...All the sites i have found with google provide very little options.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Will it ever quit snowing???

Thanks for the links, that 3.5" RE kit looks real nice. Now as far as tire width I was looking for wider tires too, if i get the 15x8 rims can i fit 10" wide tires without any problems?

Back