was this a wise choice?

jeeprookie

Re: RE: Questions To Ask Yourself Today

A shop told me I had to get a different carrier for my d35 in my 2000 TJ to go from 3.07 to 3.73 ratio. He quoted me around 80 some odd dollars for an open carrier and 230 some odd dollars for a limited slip. I said go ahead with the limited slip (or posi trac as he called it)

Was this a wise choice or as waste of money?
Also, what is the difference between limited slip and a locker?
Ive searched and cannot find a clear answer to my question.
Thanks!

Gotta love the Bible belt....

Wise? Hmmm..
Was it wise to spend any money on a D35? I would probably saved for a D44 or something stronger.

Was it wise to go from 3.07 to 3.73? What size tires? What engine? My Jeep came with 3.73 and I like to change to 4.88.

Was it wise to opt for LSD over Open? Sure, LSD is better, but if you are cracking open the diff, why not a locker?

Look, its your rig and your money. You have to decide how to equip it and pay for it. Are you happy? If you are, then it was wise.

here is the whole story. something was bent on my stock d30 and my camber was noticeably off. i bought a used d30 with 3.73 gears to swap out my front axle. i bought one with a 3.73 because my stock 3.07 wasnt cutting it with 33's. I was told by a majority that a 3.73 would be sufficient for a mostly city driver with the occasional off road excursion. No rocks, mostly mud. so after installing the front d30 with 3.73 I had to swap out the 3.07 in the rear with 3.73. that is when the shop told me i had to get a new carrier. they said an open was 80 and the posi was 230 give or take a few dollars. so i chose a posi for a couple hundred more.
i have 33's with manual 6cyl.
what is the difference between a posi and a locker?
thanks!

with a limited slip (or posi), when your drive wheel starts losing traction, the diff kicks the traction to both wheels with no human intervention (other than the skinny pedal). With lockers, once you're engaged, both wheels get all the juice all the time. Basic difference - someone correct me if I'm wrong.

A limited slip does just what the name suggests.....it limits slip. Usually with clutches of some type. Your's will be a Trac-lok, like came factory. They do what they are supposed to, and they are definitely better than open diffs. You didn't make a mistake. I wouldn't lock a well used D35 with 33s.....run the LS in that grenade and lock that front D30. [/i]

RE: XJ - Visors and Spare tire

I'd rather have a LS over a locker in a DD, especially a D35 with 33's. The sudden lock up of a locker combined with the extra weight and mass of a 33" tire is a formula for breakage on a stock D35 axle.

The difference offroad is that a locker will power you through even if you get a wheel in the air, while a limited slip will not make up for such a variance in traction between two tires...a LSD is better suited for driving in more moderate low traction situations. On the pavement, a locker will make the tires chirp around corners, wear faster, and be more likely to slide out in the rain/snow. A Limited slip will be much more bearable onroad and put alot less strain on the axles. Overall, a limited slip is a good way to go if your jeep is a daily driver, has a stock dana 35 with 33" tires, and sees some offroading but nothing too extreme.

Re: RE: 4Low question...

I have a LS in my D44, it performs great on road and off. Good decision... though I would have went with a 4.11 ratio, but I see why you did not.

Back