Security System

ahunt01

RE: Re: RE: Pictures

Alrighty, now that I have ordered all the other little parts I wanted (more or less) for my Jeep, the only thing left is some extra security. I already have the wheel locks on, and have ordered the locking gas cap that will be keyed to the ignition key. What I really need now, is an awesome security system. Lol I really want a security system like in Robocop 2! http://www.citlink.net/~ahunt01/Movie.wmv
Besides that, lol, can you all recommend some really good security systems?

RE: it was gon smooth...

From what I've been told, Ungo (I think thats how it's spelled) security systems are supposed to be one of the best. If you want a really cheap way of securing your jeep from theft, just wire in a hidden kill switch. You can wire it to either the ignition or the fuel pump or both. I also have one wired to the headlights. Since most vehicles are stolen at night, they won't have headlights and will be more likely to be pulled over.

RE: Front Differential Problem

I wired a kill switch to the fuel pump, not the hard. Hardest part is finding a location.

So, with a kill switch, every time you leave the vehicle you have to turn the switch? wiring a kill switch to the fuel pump would be bad wouldnt it? I thought you never want the car to run out of gas because it's bad for the fuel injectors.

Spare Tire Mount

I run my kill switch to my ignition coil. Just keeps cranking away if its not turned on.

JP mag. had an article on this too, asked a bunch of car thieves which security device works the best. The top two considered to be the most effective was a big mean dog in the pass. seat, and a well hidden kill switch.

Joop

I agree. There is no real good alarm that will protect your jeep from someone getting in. Dont leave anything in there period and put in a well hidden kill switch so its a little harder to make off with the jeep.

So how does the kill switch work exactly? Would I put it inside the vehicle, and hit it everytime I park the car?

stupid cars with stupid doors

The kill switch works just like a light switch, cuts off contact to the coil that is needed to start the jeep. You get yourself a toggle switch and a couple lengths of wire, splice into the coil wire and feed it into the jeep through the firewall. Mount the switch somewhere hidden but is accesable when your in the drivers seat. Then whenever you park it, flip the switch off.

Between that and my locking center console I made I just keep my jeep topless and doorless all summer and don't worry about anything.

RE: How do I take the doors off?

Ya, in my truck I have a kill switch for the coil and the fuel pump. And they're both in different locations, well hidden under the dash.

With that, I definatly feel secture leaving my vehicle in bad locations. The only thing you have to keep in mind too, is you don't want your coil and fuel pump to look like they were obviosly spliced into. I don't know if TJ's have hood locks, or even how good they would be...so that's something to keep in mind!!

Fuel pump kill sowtches won't harm anything. The injectors won't be damaged by running out of gas. If that was the case there would be lots of us who did damage.... I'm toying with doing the same, even though my ZJ has the factory alarm system - they are nothing but an annoyance really.

RE: How do I take the doors off?

Na the TJs don't have hood locks. However, I'm not even sure if I own a TJ. What is the 2005 Unlimited Wrangler considered? The hood locks are another item on my list of things I need, if in fact the part is even available for it yet.

RE: stupid cars with stupid doors

The only thing that can be harmed by running out of fuel, or running them with no fuel, is an electronic fuel pump. They can overheat pretty easily (sometimes) if run long without fuel. That's why it's never a good idea to go till you're almost completely out of fuel.

But, a fuel pump kill switch will not cause any problems.

The kill switch is the best. I don't have one but am thinking about putting one in. But what I have for security is a small Kryptonite lock (or you could use a large master lock with at least a 2" hoop) to lock the clutch and brake pedals together. The idea is that a crook would have to a) saw through a pedal, b) saw through a lock or c) pick the lock. Otherwise hard to get the jeep in and out of gear with those two pedals attached. Hey for 6 bucks its not bad.

Yeah true. That with a kill switch would be just super.

RE: Re: RE: stupid cars with stupid doors

Don't the new jeeps come with a coded key and a built in security system?

Yup you can get that option with it. I was going to get that, but the security system was your standard system, and the coded key didn't prevent it from being hotwired. Atleast that is what the salesman told me. I figured what's the point of that then.

Ya, cause then If you ever get an aftermarket system, the stock one can sometimes be a pain to work around! It's best just to get nothing from the factory if you think you'll get an aftermarket, or better, system down the road.

I have a kill switch on the igniton coil on my cj7; I spliced into the wire under the hood and concealed it with those plastic wire tubes and electric tape, and ran the wires out of sepparate locations through different holes in the fire wall and into the wad of tail light wires before going to a well concealed switch hidden by the roll cage and painted flat black (to match the jeep); all just to make it confusing. I've never put a top or doors on it, and have never had problem with theft (except that with it being a manual people can still play tricks like coasting to a different parking space).

No alarm/disable system will protect your Jeep from a determined frog-rustler with a tow truck. :lol:

Better a well-trained one of these:

image-missing.png

The Belgian Malinois alarm-companion system will protect you, your Jeep, fetch your bunny slippers, fertilize your backyard and is always thrilled to see you.

Regards,

Gadget

PS: Seriously, nobody seems to pay any attention whatever to activated car alarms. I question the real-life effectiveness of car alarms.

Agreed, Gadget. I hate car alarms with a passion. Here in the windy state, they are constantly going off, and nobody pays any attention. I did see a guy pry open the hood of a car with an alarm that kept going off and rip the wiring out of it......it wasn't his car, but he was so annoyed he had to do something......

Back