Front Differential Problem

BeatUpYJ

RE: 1979 jeep cj question

I recently changed the front axle seals on my 92 Wrangler. Everything seemed to go well, however when I reassembled everything and went to test drive it in 4WD, the car steers very tough and vibrates extensively. Also, the whole front axle was extremely hot to the touch! When I noticed how it was driving, I immediately stoppeds and put it back in to 2WD, and although the indicator light went off, it didn't seem to go back into 2WD. I did think make a loud 'clunk' right before I got home, and then it drove like it was in 2WD. Also, the car would NOT role in neutral easily. I used the correct type and amount of oil. I'm a novice wrencher but I can follow directions well. Any help would be appreciated.

'03Whistling jeep and '94 FIXED FINALLY

did you take off the shift fork? If so check there and see if it was put on backwards. While its off check the collar on the split shaft too...

I did take off the shift fork. I'm pretty sure I didn't put it on backwards. I'll look at the split shaft and collar, too. Do you think the problem is that it's not disengaging correctly? Any advice for general reassembly?

where you driving it on the road...in 4wd? If so, that's your problem....which was a BAD idea.

And welcome to Jeepz.com!!

I've driven on the road in 4WD many times and although the ride is not what one would consider smooth, I've never experienced the problems I'm having now. Perhaps, I should just reinstall everything, taking time to ensure it's done right?

are you locked up front? if you are and its engaged, your gonna have torque steer out the butt...

i had to drive out of tellico through ten miles of mountain roads and gravel roads in front wheel drive locked because i ripped up a pinion yoke in the rear. man o man.... that was entertaining to say the least.

BeatUpYJ said:
I've driven on the road in 4WD many times and although the ride is not what one would consider smooth, I've never experienced the problems I'm having now. Perhaps, I should just reinstall everything, taking time to ensure it's done right?

Just to let you know that is something that you don't want to do and could also be why you're having problems.

Back