Wiring driving lights in to reverse light in taillights

Nick_Mur

I'm wanting to wire in two driving lights on the rear of my jeep into the reverse light. Has anyone done this before? If so could you give me some advice?

Thanks [addsig]

first of all you'll have to get a wiring schematic drawing from a manual. or it is possible to use a mulitmeter or test light and test what wires get power when the transmission is put into reverse.

after the wires are located it would be as simple as using a crimping tool with some t-shaped splicing connectors. should be able to get some at radio shack type stores. splice one wire from the lamps into the "hot" power wire and the other to a ground wire or chassis.

[addsig]

first of all you'll have to get a wiring schematic drawing from a manual. or it is possible to use a mulitmeter or test light and test what wires get power when the transmission is put into reverse.

after the wires are located it would be as simple as using a crimping tool with some t-shaped splicing connectors. should be able to get some at radio shack type stores. splice one wire from the lamps into the "hot" power wire and the other to a ground wire or chassis.

[addsig]

with the relatively low powered reverse lights you have currently, i'd suggest getting a 12 volt relay from pep boys or radio shack to accomodate the higher current needed to power the aftermarket reverse lights. wiring won't be difficult... just tap into the existing positive wire for the reverse lights now and split it off to your new relay, which will in turn power your reverse lights. if you want further advise/opinion, i'd suggest just getting a toggle switch that you can flip on and off from your seat for these new reverse lights; this way you can watch behind you even when its not in reverse, i'm sure that in some instances you'd wanna see behind you even while you're in drive (like for seeing yourself roll backwards off that ledge for example...
image-missing.png
j/k[addsig]

curious...

what is the function of the relay?

i know i installed one with some driving lamps i added to my jeep before but never bothered to look into why you need one?

anyone got a simple explaination?

[addsig]

With a toggle like he says you can sure freak out a tailgater on a dark night. When they will not back off and have on the high beams, They really tend to back off your bumper when they see them big old black dot where their eyes use to be.
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
Tug![addsig]

Bucklahoo, A relay is nothing more that a remote switch. It has a coil that, when energized by 12vdc, the coil pulls a connector (switch) closed,(Normally open) and at the same time Opens a contact (for normally closed) The contacts on the switch part of the relay are rated pretty high for current, usually 30A. Where some switches are rated under that. The relay allows you to control high amperage circuits with very little current (whatever the coil may draw, 60 to 90ma maybe ) The relay coils can be energized by anything that supplies 12vdc, like for instance, the back-up light wire. When you shift into rev. the transmission switch closes and sends 12vdc back to the back-up lights. That 12vdc line can "energize the relay, thus turning on bigger back-up lights.

[addsig]

I like the toggle idea so if you were camping and needed them or hooking up a trailer in the dark also when you are in normal civillian driving like at the grocery store and you back out you dont want to burn everyones rtinas out[addsig]

IPF makes the perfect relay kit for the job. You can use their lights or your own, I used my own and it worked fine. Everything is included in the kit and it is very simple to install.[addsig]

Back