AGR or rebuilt stock steering box?

GaryMB

RE: well then...

The original steering box in my cj7 has seen better days (It leaks, has loose steering, the rubber boot at the input looks to have broken long ago, etc.). Should I rebuild it, or should i buy an aftermarket steering box? What about AGR power steering boxes? Also, why is the type one agr box for offroad use only? The jeep is primarily a wheeler and has 32" tires, but will see either 33's or (possibly) 35's in the future.

RE: Stalling 258

I have no first hand experience, but I have read about it for future purposes and it seems like the stock will fail you much more frequently than the AGR with the bigger tires. By the way, the boot is part of the steering shaft and can be replaced easily once you have the shaft out. Mine was the same way and I replaced it before I put the shaft back in. I think the kit was about 5 bucks.

There are 2 kinds of steering boxes that AGR makes for the wrangler, Super Box 1 and Super Box 2. The Super Box 1 is designed for offroad use only, the Super Box 2 has a firmer valving and a different gearing that makes it handle better driving on the highway.

I have the Super Box 1 on mine, and it's a daily driver... the only reason I have it because Quadratec sent me the wrong one which I didn't find out until it was installed. I've gotten used to it now though, and it's got alot more turning power! I don't know how much it costs to rebuild a stock box, but Quadratec doesn't even sell them because they are more expensive than the AGR and who is NOT going to upgrade for MORE money?

If you are going to get bigger meats on there, you might as well do it right the first time and put the AGR box on there now. The 35s will make that stock box go downhill fast.

Joop

Welding D30

Before you buy an AGR tke your box out and take it to the local jeep mechanic/nut. I was going to get an AGR but I wanted to see how much it would be to rebuild my original steering box. Brought my box over to the guy and he said I had a one of the best jeep steering boxes, a seris 76 or whatever. You never know, find out what you have.

You can get boxes with different ratios at the junkyard. They are saginaw boxes, identified by a series(like Sully was saying). Different cars got different ratios. The big Caddies, wagons, and cruisers got the crappy ratios that take 900 turns to go from lock to lock.....smaller sedans may have had a quicker ratio. They are either three or four bolt mounting patterns, but the patterns match, one is just a bolt short. I don't know alot about the interchangeability, but I know there are other OEM boxes out there that would work.

Back