electric fan

OhioMike

RE: Stalling 258

any of you guys put one on...i'm thinkin about it...the wiring and such should be no problem...i figure a sngle pole triple throw switch...off for water crossings...on for...if i run hot and need to cool it off...and auto...

what you guys think...

i'm only thinkin it cause me clutch on the fan fell apart on me when i removed it...

I'm all for electric fans. I pulled one out of a 3.8L ford taurus at a junk yard for $30. My jeep was overheating like mad and now runs cooler than I could ever have imagined. Plus it's a two speed if you want to hook up the second wire. An on/off/auto is a pretty common setup, though right now I only have on/off.

got to tell ya. I just pulled a taurus fan. that sucker would not fit on my jeep no matter what I tried. I searched the whole yard the next week and found one fan on a buick of some sort that fit 100 times better. I have about 2 inches of clearance between the pully and fan motor. I say forget the taurus fan and look for something else. My friend had the same issue as me and ended up with a duel fan out of a older mustang that fit much better. Just take some measurements and hit the yard.

RE: Do I need the computer in my 87 YJ?

I use the 3.8L Taurus fan as well, can also be found in the Lincoln Mark VII. Gotta be from the 3.8L, not the 3.0L Ford, Mercury, or Lincoln.

Mine fit fine, never heard of a problem fitting them into a Jeep. I know some CJ's with the 258 are a tight squeeze. What engine and model are you having problems fitting it into?

If you search these forums you'll find tons of info on the Taurus electric fan install, as well as some nice wiring diagrams by XJNick.

RE: 31

no i haven;t actually gotten one yet...just thinkin about it...i didn;t know i could get one from a taurus...glad i asked before i bought one from summit or jegs...

wiring diagrams huh...i'll look around..

it;s an 87 yj...258

thanks

RE: I pulled the trigger on antsinmypants

From what I've experienced, OEM fans like the ones from the Ford 3.8L seem to last a LOT longer than aftermarket fans. My last aftermarket fan was a 16" universal from the parts store, and the bearings shot crap. I'll stick with OEM fans from now on.

RE: Welding D30

Had this problem in a 84 CJ and a 88YJ oh forgot we gave one of the fans to a friend with a CJ5. Would not fit in there either. All of these have a 258.

alright...i'll take some measurements and go hunting...sooner or later... :lol:

RE: Re: RE: 4.0 Throttle Body on a 2.5 myth???

I mannaged to fit a taurus fan in my cj7 with 258. I was very tight squeeze that took alot of trimming of the fan shroud, and has about 1/2" of clearance, but works great with no problems. I also had to move the radiator forward a bit using washers and longer bolts. I just takes some patience.

The New "Crosslander"

pushead said:
got to tell ya. I just pulled a taurus fan. that sucker would not fit on my jeep no matter what I tried. ...

I got a junkyard Taurus fan t fit, but it took some manipulation.

The big problem with junkyard anything is that you are buying junk. So I shouldn't have been surprised when it failed a few months later.

I bought the control unit from dccontro.com that really worked well. I still have it, but went back to a mechanical fan.

You can see what I had to do to squeeze it in place:
http://www.nakedjeep.com/Projects/TFan/TFan01.html

RE: 4 lo hard to get into

I've bought many Taurus fans and never had a problem with one, quality seems better than the aftermarket electric fans IMO.

I had one at one time, I really noticed a great power difference. The sound is something to get used to, not having the wooshing along with the engine speed is different. I need to get me a new one. I put the clutch fan back on after the electric failed

I went with the flex-a-lite (FLX-475) on my YJ, more money than the junk yard special but it bolted right in, worked great, and I removed my stock belt driven fan to free up some power. Worked great and has an adjustable thermostat, harness, fuses, etc.

Re: thanks

About how much HP can one expect to gain from a removal of the belt driven fan?

I think with aftermarket fans you really get what you pay for. I've bought nice, quality ones from Summit on almost all my vehicles and never had any problems. If you get one with good berrings and everything, the berrings will last a long time :wink: .

As for Horsepower gains....it is usually not noticable.

leroy goes nuts...

It has been claimed that one can get up to a 17 hp increase. I really don't doubt that either. A fan DOES require a lot to move. Though that would not be a constant 17 hp. Once a clutch fan is spooled, it requires less to keep moving. Response will definitely be more noticeble than maintained power.

RE: nutter bypass...

It was the most noticeable mod as to power that I did to my old YJ. It was a 4 cyl. I could do wheelies afterward :shock:

Okay seriously though, it did make a difference and it was definately noticeable.

Back