Welding D30

MerkL

RE: The happiest two days of a boat owners life...

What would be the results of welding your D30. I've heard rumors you won't be able to turn it worth a crap, and I've also heard that nothing happens until you shift into 4wd, except that the shaft will always be spinning. Any of you guys run a lincoln locked 30, I know Bounty does. Thanks.

RE: Re: New addition to the family...

What year and model jeep? Front axle disconnect?

I don't notice mine in 2wd, it's tougher to turn on the trail in 4wd but that's a trade-off I'm willing to make for the huge increase in traction. This thing climbs like a billy goat, it's generally point and shoot, climbing wherever you point it.

Mine's a '94 YJ. I was hoping you'd say that. How tough are you talking about, manual steering tough, or rusted up steering box tough? Thanks.

I wouldn't say it's as tough as either of those, it's just tough enough that some tight turns on the trail go from driving right through to 3-point turns. More of a slight annoyance than anything.

I've only broken one axle ujoint in the few years I've been welded in the front. It was a rare situation, I was backing up a slight incline with most of the jeep's weight on the front corner where the ujoint broke. This setup isn't all that hard on parts, better than an auto locker that decides to lockup under wheelspin, ouch.

RE: newbie w/ questions

Both my diffs were welded with a 220 Mig. Just be sure to fill the 8 gear pockets (where the side gears and spiders mesh) with a lot of metal. Don't try welding the gears to the case.

Back