2005 new Wrangler SE cricket sounds?

eth72

RE: Best 6 or 6.5 Lift for 94 sport xj?

Hi Everyone,
I just found this site doing a search and found someone else having the same problem... Go figure! Hoping for a little assistance so I can at least sound like I know what I'm talking about when I call the service dept...

Bought my new 2005 Wrangler SE (4cyl 2.4L base model) to replace the '97 SE I sold 4 years back and missed so much! Anyway, since pretty much day one, this Jeep makes sounds that sound like a cricket when in gear, I guess... The faster the engine revs, the slightly quicker it chirps... When switching gears it goes away momentarily - not sure if it's because I'm on the clutch, off the gas, or lower RPMS, but it'll start it the moment I accelerate from 1st gear on...
I notice that it does it at least 60% of the time, or I could be doing 35 and all of a sudden it'll start...

If I'm driving down a hill at 40 and in gear, it'll make the sound - if I'm coasting in neutral at the same speed, it won't... I've owned it less than 2 months and already have 2k on it, so I don't think it's a matter of breaking it in... Some kind of belt?

Any ideas are appreciated - my '97 with 68k miles never made this sound and I don't think I should expect it on a new one - it's only going to sound worse and louder once New England gets some warm weather and I can take the top down...

Thanks again,
Scott in NH

Back