Steering Wheel Swap on a 97 TJ?

Roundlights

To lock or not to lock

Kind of a goofy question guys.........

I can't seem to find a steering wheel adapter kit to swap out my stock TJ wheel. Can they not be swapped for an aftermarket wheel or something?

Or do they just bolt right on with no additional hardware.

Part 2:
If and when I find a wheel to fit, is it as simple as disconnecting the battery and removing all the airbag wiring & wheel? (as much as I would like to set it off first, you know, like an experiment! :shock: ) Is there more to be cautious of?

Thanks again for the helpful insight!

You aren't allowed by law to disable or remove the airbag. That's why there are no mounting kits.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: National Anthem

In most vehicles, simply disconnecting the battery will not disable the airbag (safety reasons in case of a frontal crash that disconnects the battery). Somewhere in my collection, I've got a video of a 220 lb fireman being thrown over 20 feet by an airbag.....

Junkpile said:
You aren't allowed by law to disable or remove the airbag. That's why there are no mounting kits.

I kind of had a feeling that was the case, thanks junk......... so, next question.......
How does a JEEPER put a new GRANT in their rig?? :D
(not trying to say that any upstanding jeeper would "bend the rules" at all, but if one Did!)

Thanks fellas for the info!

(and sparky..... howsa bout' posting that video clip!) :twisted:

Roundlights said:
(and sparky..... howsa bout' posting that video clip!) :twisted:

I would if I could...it's on VHS and I don't have the equipment (or the intelligence to use it if I did) to do it..... :cry:

If I could remember what city it was in, I bet I could do a Google search and find it, though....seems like maybe Boston, but I'm not sure.

Pull out the steering column and putone in from a YJ, should bolt right up. or flaming river accually has a part number for TJ's for a new column, about $400

94 Cherokee dies while driving

mud4feet said:
air bags in a jeep suck!!!

TJ owner mud

I agree......... with the airbags sucking part........ but who ever heard of sqaure lights on a Jeep anyway :lol:

Thanks for the advice again fella's!

Can't say I have the $400 to just change my wheel...... if I had that kinda scratch at the ready it would go to new tires!!

Guess I will have to deal with the biggest drawback to the TJ's.... the stock interior!

RE: 94 Cherokee dies while driving

Roundlights said:
........ but who ever heard of sqaure lights on a Jeep anyway :lol:
Should be lotsa folks, since there were squares on the longest production running vehicle ever produced, '84-'01 XJ. Not to mention a good run of '87-'95.5 for the YJ. ;)

Here's one for the fire: If real Jeeps have round headlights, guess they've got leaf springs too :p

Bounty__Hunter said:
Roundlights said:
Should be lotsa folks, since there were squares on the longest production running vehicle ever produced, '84-'01 XJ. Not to mention a good run of '87-'95.5 for the YJ. ;)

Here's one for the fire: If real Jeeps have round headlights, guess they've got leaf springs too :p

oh.. I see, bring the XJ into things....... thats just dirty play! :wink:

We don't need no stinking leaf springs........... again Bounty your plethera of Jeep knowledge both impresses and burns me! :eek:

Roundlights said:
Bounty__Hunter said:
Roundlights said:

oh.. I see, bring the XJ into things....... thats just dirty play! :wink:

We don't need no stinking leaf springs........... again Bounty your plethera of Jeep knowledge both impresses and burns me! :eek:

:lol:

Bounty to the Rescue!!!

:lol:

RE: YJ front bumper size

Bounty__Hunter said:
Roundlights said:

Ok Bounty........ it took me several days to come up with a come back, and its a lame one so forgive me, because deep down inside I would prefer a YJ over a TJ (minus the square lights, which look great on my XJ)

Ok, you sitting down, this one will bowl you over.....

I may not have leaf springs, but at least my windshield wipers go all the way down!

:shock:

(best I could do, lame I know!)

Have a great weekend, keep the rubber side down!

Roundlights said:
I may not have leaf springs, but at least my windshield wipers go all the way down!

They had to make them that way because the car-type airbags couldn't be certified unless they tilted the windshield back (more like a car's windshield....hmmm, starting to see a pattern here!) :shock:

american racing wheels

(more like a car's windshield....hmmm, starting to see a pattern here!) :shock:[/quote]

Damn I am slammed again by knowledge that far exceeds me!!!! :cry:

I give I give!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(i still love my Tj though, and no matter what, they all have the same tail lights!)

Or do they?????????????????? muwahhh ha ha ahah

Roundlights said:
But can you fold the windshield down without removing the wipers?

Re: RE: New wrenching injury!

Bounty__Hunter said:
Roundlights said:
But can you fold the windshield down without removing the wipers?

Foiled again!!

I actually flipped it down for the first time this weekend to wire in the new procomp lights. Felt great, even took it for a spin around the city, man you should have seen the looks I was getting!

By the way, can anyone tell me if removing the roll bar member that ties the windshield to the rest of the roll bar is more for looks, or does it really improve the strengt of the cage? I am assuming it COULD be a life saver, but I like the look & feel of not having it there!

Back