auto to manual trans?

UrbanJeep

I bought my TJ used and I want to switch it to a manual... I don't know if its ever been done but I am very interested in doing it. I wanted to know if anyone knows where to get parts and if this is a some what easy task to do.. From what I can see all it takes is about a good solid day and most of the stuff will bolt up right next to eachother.. I am not sure about the Trans. case b/c I think there might be a diff spline output for the auto to manual trans.

Mike D
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Possible: Yes

Easy Task: NO

Cheap: Definitely NOT

Changing to a manual from a auto takes a lot of time and money...you might just be better off trading your TJ for a manual one...probably would be less money. I may be wrong on this but I beleive that engines are balanced different for a Torque Converter (auto) and a flywheel (manual) (maybe splines too not sure on that) so you may have to change the engine too for it all to work right. Also you will need new brake and clutch pedals plus all the clutch linkage, plus the master and slave cylinder, flywheel, clutch, throwout bearing, pressure plate. If you are really bent on doing this...I would go to a junkyard and try to get the entire drivetrain (engine, trans, tcase...plus all the wiring, computers, etc) from a TJ and just swap it all in at once (not gonna be cheap). I see alot of guys convert from manual to auto but hardly ever from auto to man cuz you have to change so much.[addsig]

The engine is the same, regardless of what transmission you have. Everything will bolt right up except, the main area of concern, spline count and length between the transmission and transfer case. This varies a lot between manual and autos. You can change the input shaft on the transfer case to match the manual transmission, or you can just pick up the transfer case that was originally mounted to your donor manual transmission.

This may be a good time to upgrade, maybe to a NV4500 which is stronger than stock Jeep trannies, has a granny low 1st gear, and still has an overdrive 5th gear for the highway. Something to look into.[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>The engine is the same, regardless of what transmission you have. Everything will bolt right up except, the main area of concern, spline count and length between the transmission and transfer case. This varies a lot between manual and autos. You can change the input shaft on the transfer case to match the manual transmission, or you can just pick up the transfer case that was originally mounted to your donor manual transmission.

This may be a good time to upgrade, maybe to a NV4500 which is stronger than stock Jeep trannies, has a granny low 1st gear, and still has an overdrive 5th gear for the highway. Something to look into.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Well here it is if i do this I am def. getting a beefier trans and prob a diff trans case as well prob. the atlas II with like 3.0 gears i believe it is my concern is just putting in all the clutch parts in b/c i am swapping motors anyway b/c i am stroking out a block before anything else.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back